New to RC

Old 11-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to RC

Hi all,

I am new here and new to the RC World (Besides owning some old RCs as a kid), and was hoping you folks could provide some help and advice.

I'm looking for some advice on what I should look into for an Off-Road Electric RC buggy. I'm looking to spend no more than $250, and it will be used on a dirt track. I've looked at a bunch of sites, but I'm not exactly sure what specs I should look for, especially regarding batteries and motors. This car probably won't get used heavily (that is why I'm not looking to spend a fortune), but I'd just like something that I can enjoy tearin' up a track. Also, as a kid, I remember playing with my brother's, and our frequencies would always cause interference. Do the radio's come with different frequencies? (Sorry if that's a dumb question)

If you could provide any answers or suggestions, it would be great. Thanks!
Old 11-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Tech Adept

the team associated b4rs is a great electric buggy
i have one and it is great
i am selling mine if you are interested
also if u r in the socal area
my price is 200 it comes with everything you need to race with an aception of the battery charger
pm me if you r interested
good luck
Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

hmm on the radio note, radios have interchangeable crystals, and you just swap the ones in the transmitter and receiver with another set and you're good to go (they're different for each country but just go to your lhs and ask about it)
Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by joe of loath
hmm on the radio note, radios have interchangeable crystals, and you just swap the ones in the transmitter and receiver with another set and you're good to go (they're different for each country but just go to your lhs and ask about it)
Not always, often different manufacturers won't work with each other even on the same frequency. It would be great if they did.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion and the replies... i'm still looking for more advice if anyone has anything to share!
Old 11-06-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Initiate

the B4RS would be my choice as well.
If you are going to a track with a hobby shop i would see what buggys they stock parts for before I made a final decision.
There is nothing worse than breaking something simple and having to wait days or weeks for a replacement part.
The down side is that the buggy itself is about $250. A couple of good battery packs and a simple peak charger for them will run you about $100 or more.