Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
i need help. i'm a newbie to these kinds of stuff >

i need help. i'm a newbie to these kinds of stuff

i need help. i'm a newbie to these kinds of stuff

Old 09-22-2007, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default i need help. i'm a newbie to these kinds of stuff

i was looking up rc's on the internet one day then i just came across all of these customizing, nitro, electric, etc. i want to start making it as my hobby so i'm just asking if anyone knows what rc should i buy. i'd like to go for nitro 4wd trucks of 1/8 or 1/10 scale. i saw the new traxxas revo and i honestly want it but i don't know if it's advisable for a newbie like me to control something like that. anything nice and affordable?
Old 09-22-2007, 08:24 AM
Tech Regular

Default b44

i will go for "ASSOCIATED B44" this car beat the best
how i wish i could get one
Old 09-22-2007, 02:54 PM
Tech Adept

anything traxxas is a good start thay are cheep and you cand find parts anywhere. thay are a good truck....
Old 09-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

the best thing to do find a car that has good part support. Try and stay away from cars that have little support. Go to ur local track and ask around find out what other racers are using.
Old 09-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

As someone who has been inthe hobby for over 15 years, and having worked in 2 different shops, here's my $.02.

-Look around your neighborhood and figure out where you will want to run. Is there a ton of room? Is there more pavement than dirt? Check your local area for tracks and hobbyshops. This will also help guide you as to what to buy. In addition, if you are farther from a track, more than likely a durable "backyard basher" is probably what you are after.

-Start with electric!! Not nearly as finikey as nitro, less overwhelming, and hey, you can always get more if you get bitten by the bug. plus, with some upgrades, the elec are JUST as fast, if not faster than nitro!

-a 2wd truck is the easiest way to get started and can be very competitive. Again, check with a local hobby shop as to what they carry. *its hard to get parts in a hurry if the local HS doesn't carry that brand*

-Don't hastle with trying to build a kit from the start. Get something in RTR trim is easier than trying to find all the components, also less confusing.

-The components for your electric WILL carry over to nitro, once you are ready to move up. Its a graduation process, you need to crawl before you walk.

-A total package might set you back $300 to $500 depending on your area and what you choose to get.

Here are some kits for your consideration:
Monster truck- more of a basher, taller ground clearance.
Traxxas:
Stampede w/ brushless (less maintenance, more power)
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...x_stampede.htm

Stampede (tried and true, solid machine)
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...x_stampede.htm

Electric E maxx- requires 2 batteries, Very big!
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec.../trx_emaxx.htm

Stadium trucks: lower, more competitive racer style-

Traxxas:
Rustler- very rugged stadium truck
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...rx_rustler.htm

Rustler w/ brushless (less maintenance, more power)
http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...rx_rustler.htm

Associated:
Associated RC10T4- one of the most competitive trucks out there! (also voted the top truck by RC Car Action Readers Choice!)
http://www.rc10.com/ae/t4/t4_home.htm

Losi:
XXX-T w/ Brushless
http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Def...rodID=LOSA0096

Take your time, talk to people and get their feedback. Go to a local track, talk to people and see what the fast guys are running. Be honest, admit you want to get started and are exploring options. Most people will give you insight and tell you whts good. talk to the folks at the shop. Make sure you get the answers for the questions you have. Most racers are happy to share knowledge and give you pointers about the hobby.

-PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!! Take the time to drive your vehicle around and get used to the handling. if you have a local track, be sure to practice driving. If there are lots of other people on the track, be sure to let the faster folks pass and not hold them up. Even just watch the lines of the fast guys and try to copy it.

Hope this helps.

MOmo
Old 09-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by squad car
i will go for "ASSOCIATED B44" this car beat the best
how i wish i could get one
he said he is a newbie i dont think he wonts to get a kit and build it etc.... and stuff.
he should get an traxxas truck.start out with electric first.maybe elecric stampede or rustler?
Old 09-22-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

regardless, MOmo made a great post.

Personally, I have just jumped into the hobby less than a year ago with a used TT-01. If I were you and trying to experiment with whether you want this to be your hobby, go for something used first. This forum has tons of people getting out of the hobby, and selling their setups. This is great because you will get all you need, minus maybe a charger, which are easy (but can get expensive) to get.

I would recommend the TT-01 as your first on road chassis, but I see you are an off-road fan, so I can just give you suggestions about electric in general.

You're going to want to start off with a slower brushed motor, stock if you will. Now, don't overlook the power and speed these cars can get with motors considered "stock" (the only thing you can change are the armature, brushes and springs) while everything else is fixed and can't move em.

As you get used to handling it and if you have the money, look into a brushless system. These are crazy fast, very customizable and very low maintanance--all 3 great things.

Get a longer life battery, above 3000mAh is good.

CLEAN YOUR CAR! <-- very important.

and like MOmo said, get in touch with a local racing club and your LHS. They've been in the business for a very long time and it would be pointless not to learn some things from them. Plus, you'll have people to race with!

I think if you post your budget we could help you out more.

Hopefully this helps
Old 09-22-2007, 11:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

+1 everything Momo and Moosho said, I just want to add a few things, if you plan on racing at all, slow is fast. Also even if you do get a ready to run kit, it is worth your time before you run it to disassemble the car, and rebuild it. Knowing what parts go where is very important. The nice thing about RTR is you can upgrade them as you break things if you want. Nitro is fun, but unless you drive with experienced Nitro guys it can be a HUGE Pain in the a$$ at first, and could cost you quite a bit, as well as discourage you very quickly.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

yo thanks for the replies. i think i'll start out with an electric i guess. just one more question. are those electrics like the ones nikko and suncon produce customizable? cause i have a suncon one and i have a nikko but i lost it's controller and it really pissed me off.
Old 09-24-2007, 01:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

they're crap. full stop. but any controller will work with a nikko evolution... not you'd want to drive one.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

Smile

actually i do ehehe. well since i already have one i guess i could use it and it's fun i guess for someone like me. they do go 20km/h which is pretty fast for something off the toy store ehe. i'm actually saving up for a stampede vxl. yo thanks everybody

Last edited by Hang_TiMe; 09-24-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Tech Apprentice

The Stampede will amaze you with speed, good choice, parts are very available, good choice for a beginner.
Old 09-24-2007, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hang_TiMe
are those electrics like the ones nikko and suncon produce customizable? cause i have a suncon one and i have a nikko but i lost it's controller and it really pissed me off.
Glad I And others could be of help.

Thats the one thing about kits like these, parts and components ARE upgradable AND customizable. That was one of the biggest questions asked was people who were tired of the "radio shack" type cars that you couldn't fix.

I have also seen people buy components and "modify" a radio shack car w/ items like new ESC, Radio system and even batteries. IMO its not worth it.

MOmo