Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Flywheel/Engine issues with FWO5T(GXR15) >

Flywheel/Engine issues with FWO5T(GXR15)

Flywheel/Engine issues with FWO5T(GXR15)

Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Flywheel/Engine issues with FWO5T(GXR15)

Hi All, Total newbie so forgive me if I don't quite understand.

I recently bought a 2nd hand Fwo5T with the GXR15 engine. On the weekend i was using it when suddenly it stopped, and i couldnt get the engine to fire agan.

Upon pulling the engine apart i noticed the flywheel was freely spinning on the Driveshaft. MY first question is

1) to fix this problem do i just need to buy another Tappered Collet (UM213) and fit it, or does it need to be pressed onto the drveshaft?

2) Should the engine run without the flywheel attached or have i done more damage to the engine?

It seams to have compression but when i try and start it, it feels like there is more compression then before and when it trys to fire it sounds a bit more high pithced. (i even tryed fuel down the carby and still no go)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Brenton
Old 07-29-2007, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

These motors will not run if the flywheel is loose. There is no need to buy a new collet unless your motor either doesnt have one or was severly damaged from your flywheel spinning on it. All you need to do is grab the flywheel with a pair of pliers with a rag wrapped around the jaws. Then remove the flywheel nut, put threadlock on it, and reinstall it tightly. Allot of vehicles that come RTR have this problem earlier today i was at the LHS and some kid brought in a XXX-NT that had this exact same problem.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Tech Initiate

When i removed the flywheel the nut was super tight and the flywheel was still spinning losely. I had to grip it from the back of the motor. (hopefully not damagng anything internally)

I will try the locktight but like you said i think it may have got damaged. When i pulled it apart there seamed to be a bronze/copper colour coating on the back of the flywheel. I assume it is from the collet getting worn.

Cheers for your quick response.