Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Charger recondmendations >

Charger recondmendations

Charger recondmendations

Old 07-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Charger recondmendations

I will be buying my first rc when the rustler vxl arrives and have no clue what to buy. I will be using the truck for bashing in the backyard and do not need lipos. I have a 7 cell 4400mah from maxamps on order and don't know what charger to purchase.
I will also be getting a rpm front bumper and wheelie bars. Is there anything else i should look into?

Thanks,

FearSys
Old 07-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

An Ice charger would be good for you. I use a Pitbull X3 with a 30 amp power supply.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by FearSys
I will be buying my first rc when the rustler vxl arrives and have no clue what to buy. I will be using the truck for bashing in the backyard and do not need lipos. I have a 7 cell 4400mah from maxamps on order and don't know what charger to purchase.
I will also be getting a rpm front bumper and wheelie bars. Is there anything else i should look into?

Thanks,

FearSys
DUDE. Get some Lipos you will love the run time.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I highly recommend the cellmaster from muchmore, if not look for a charger that has linear charging and has lipo capabilities, that should make you future proof.
Old 07-24-2007, 12:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

If you want something that will do NiMh batteries only then the Duratrax Piranha is a good deal at $50 new and it is AC and DC. There are a lot of good DC only chargers out there like the ICE but you need a power supply too. Integy makes some decent chargers for the money as well and many are AC/DC. If you want to do LiPo later then an factor that in.

Basically, for a good charger to get you started that is AC/DC the Piranha is hard to beat. I have 2 of them, an ICE and a Integy 16x8v6 BTW.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the the replies. I forgot to mention that i would like to keep the budget as low as possible. I do not need a top of the line charger, i just need something to charge the 7 cell 4400mah that i have on order.

Originally Posted by QuickRC
If you want something that will do NiMh batteries only then the Duratrax Piranha is a good deal at $50 new and it is AC and DC. There are a lot of good DC only chargers out there like the ICE but you need a power supply too. Integy makes some decent chargers for the money as well and many are AC/DC. If you want to do LiPo later then an factor that in.

Basically, for a good charger to get you started that is AC/DC the Piranha is hard to beat. I have 2 of them, an ICE and a Integy 16x8v6 BTW.
Is this the charger you had in mind? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LG2805&P=1

Are there any other chargers that i could use that is in that price range?

Thanks Again
Old 07-24-2007, 07:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yep, that's the one. I think there are some MRC chargers in that range although I have no experience with them.
Old 07-25-2007, 06:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Out of the 2 chargers below, which one would be best for my 7 cell 4400mAh 8.4v

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUF45&P=SD

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUF46&P=SD

Thanks
Old 07-25-2007, 02:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only difference I see with a quick review is one has a digital display and the other doesn't. The FYI Tower has on the digital display means that it's of no use if you don't constantly pay attention to it. Save the $25 and get the analog one.

Also, buy a few more battery packs. Minutes of playtime followed by hours of charging sucks. I used to love the non-matched cell, pre-built sport packs in the upper 3000 range. Good runtime, durable and dirt cheap. Tower has Epic 6-cell 3000 ones for under $20. Buy as many as you can and then bash away.
Old 07-25-2007, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN4053

90 bucks US

AC/DC, NiMh and LiPo.

It would allow you to move to Lipo in the near future. If you stick with the hobby you'll own a LiPo sooner or later.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by chicagokenji
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN4053

90 bucks US

AC/DC, NiMh and LiPo.

It would allow you to move to Lipo in the near future. If you stick with the hobby you'll own a LiPo sooner or later.
That's what I have, and it's been great.