Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Breaking in motors

How do u break in stock motors 23 motors and so on
Old 07-12-2007, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Alfonso_R
Alfonso_R, you break in a motor on your charger. and if you dont have a charger you can go to a hobby shop an ask if they have something specific for breaking in motors. the only charger I know of is the TEAM ORION ADVANTAGE charger that is the only one I think that breaks in motors. it's the most expensive you can buy but eventually that is the charger to get.

you wanna break in the motor at 1 amp for 10 minutes, modified, 19t motors break it in at 2 amp 5 minutes. if you dont know how just ask around and they can do it for you.

hope that helps you out .

Mitch
Old 07-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mitch P.
Alfonso_R, you break in a motor on your charger. and if you dont have a charger you can go to a hobby shop an ask if they have something specific for breaking in motors. the only charger I know of is the TEAM ORION ADVANTAGE charger that is the only one I think that breaks in motors. it's the most expensive you can buy but eventually that is the charger to get.

you wanna break in the motor at 1 amp for 10 minutes, modified, 19t motors break it in at 2 amp 5 minutes. if you dont know how just ask around and they can do it for you.

Mitch
also the duratrax ICE charger will break in motors.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:20 AM
Tech Regular

Mitch
also the duratrax ICE charger will break in motors.

oh ok k but i have a gfx but when i break them in there slower then the othors is it the way i break them in??
Old 07-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Master

when they have a fresh comm cut and new brushes, anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes.

and that charger will work fine as long as you have one that will break in motors, your DIALED.

Mitch
Old 07-14-2007, 06:41 PM
Tech Adept

i run a stock underwater for a few minutes connected directly to 2 double A batteries
Old 07-14-2007, 08:01 PM
Tech Regular

when they have a fresh comm cut and new brushes, anywhere from 7 to 10 minutes.

and that charger will work fine as long as you have one that will break in motors, your DIALED.

Mitch
Originally Posted by BayArea101
i run a stock underwater for a few minutes connected directly to 2 double A batteries
ok thx guys
Old 07-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

There are several chargers and dedicated machines that can be used to break in a motor. Ther Trinity "dyno" machine, the APS S3, some of the Integy models and others will allow you to break in the motor at whatever voltage and time cycle you want. Plus the ones I mentioned have an RPM sensor that will show RPM plus they all read amps. The Duratrax ICE charger will run motors and show amp draw but not RPM.

To properly break in a motor you must first align the brush hoods. Trinity and others make a tool for that. Then, ,with a fresh comm cut and new brushes run the motor at 1 to 2 volts for about 5 or 6 minutes. I run 2 minutes alternating from 1 to 2 volts, cool down then run another minutes at 1 to 2 minutes (my Integy 16x8v6 can be programmed to do this). I take the brushes out, clean the carbon off with a brush cleaning tool - the type with the fiberglass bristles - then I allow the motor to fully cool. Once cool, I run the motor at 5 volts and observe RPM and amp draw. When RPM is stabilized and amp draw has maxed out the motor is broken in and the brushes are seated. After a couple minutes amp draw will start to decreas as the motor heats up - that is normal and should be considered during the process.

Hope this helps. And trust me... proper break-in is CRITICAL to a strong running motor.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

The best method to break in a 23t motor is using a slave motor.