Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
impress me with your knowledge...please! >

impress me with your knowledge...please!

impress me with your knowledge...please!

Old 07-10-2007, 11:41 AM
Tech Rookie

Default impress me with your knowledge...please!

Hi, I want to buy a rc drift car for my boyfriend, but I want to surprise him. so I need it to be fully assembled and ready to go. I am looking for models of a black 911 twin turbo porche with black rims or a wide body turbo supra in top secret gold. or possibly both if the price is right. can anyone refer a company that sells and could assemble this for me?? i am willing to pay more for them having to assemble it.
also, i heard that electric rc drift cars are better than nitro cars but I have no clue, which one should i buy?
i am located in los angeles california and am willing to pick it up (within an 2 hour drive radius), or if someone knows of a reputable out of state company, im willing to do business with them as well. any info you have would be great.
~Yoshiko
Old 07-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

For a drift car, you'll want electric. Better throttle response and less weight will make it easier to drift.

I would suggest you contact Yokomo via http://www.yokomousa.com/ for a referral as they make most of the drift car stuff. http://www.speedtechrc.com/store/ebcategory.asp?id=528 could also probably be of some help.

And finally, you'll want to post this question here as well: http://www.groovydrift.com/phpBB2/index.php - most of the racers on this forum are "grip racers".

Good luck in your search!
Old 07-10-2007, 04:41 PM
Tech Regular

if your boyfriend is a technical kind of guy, maybe you might buy one assembled but buy him the style body he want (911 turbo) and get him paint so he can make it himself. personally, id like to paint my own body and make it look they way i want it to.

i wish someone would buy a car for me

Good luck
Old 07-10-2007, 06:21 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

surprise him just by saying here you go. Give him the dough and let him go.
Thats a lot of money to get it wrong with. He may want something particular. Thats part of RC, the personalizing of the kit.

Some thing to think about.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Tech Regular

the best way to do it would be to go to your local hobby shop and get him a gift card of the amount you are willing to spend. and he can pick and choose what ever he wants.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:18 PM
Tech Regular

I would got nuts for a gift card with an amount of something like $400
Old 07-11-2007, 12:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Default hmmm

i posted another post in a different section and someone told me to contact a guy named steve but now i dont know if i should have it pre-assembled. i just thought it would be fun for him to race it right when he opens it instead of having to build it and if he really gets into it he can buy other cars in the future. but if i buy one pre-made, he can make modifications in the future right? like change the rims or repaint it...nothings set in stone right?
~Yoshiko
Old 07-11-2007, 01:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

best bet is to let him look on the net with you.....see what he thinks is cool but dont let him know what one your gonna get

http://www.teamlosi.com/Products/Def...rodID=LOSB0289

check that one out!! its just one of many and its totally ready to roll
Old 07-11-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by clueless
i posted another post in a different section and someone told me to contact a guy named steve but now i dont know if i should have it pre-assembled. i just thought it would be fun for him to race it right when he opens it instead of having to build it and if he really gets into it he can buy other cars in the future. but if i buy one pre-made, he can make modifications in the future right? like change the rims or repaint it...nothings set in stone right?
~Yoshiko
Thats true. But he may have a more or lesser quality in mind.
Putting the kit together is possibly part of what he likes. It is for me.
Flameouts got a good Idea to and then you can get a better feel of what to do.

I would want my wife to be a part of it. But let me be in charge of the purchase.
Thats just me maybe.? I can be picky. A lot of the time I say the next time I buy I'm doing this or this the next time I buy some thing. Its part of the learning process of the hobby. I would really let him in on the surprise.

He will Love you just the same guarantee it.......
Old 07-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by clueless
~Yoshiko
Yes he can change just about anything after he buys it.

"Steve" is probably the Steve that runs the Speedtechrc.com site I linked to above and would be a good source/contact for what you're looking for.
Old 07-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

maybe your better off getting those little "x mods" from radio shack or maybe getting a mini scale rc. sounds like he wants to do more "look" upgrades then actual performance stuff. generally there isnt a wide selection of good tires with "rims". maybe im wrong but spending $300+ dollars on a performace item to use it for looks my be spending the money in the wrong place.
Old 07-11-2007, 01:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Well if he was to get a mini then he should get the micro rs4 drifter that hpi has it even comes with a d-box.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Ya know I think that I would be very happy if my wifey presented me with one those Radio Shack Hummers in some Victoria Secrets "unwrapping paper"...
Old 07-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by XNXIXTXRXOX
maybe your better off getting those little "x mods" from radio shack or maybe getting a mini scale rc. sounds like he wants to do more "look" upgrades then actual performance stuff. generally there isnt a wide selection of good tires with "rims". maybe im wrong but spending $300+ dollars on a performace item to use it for looks my be spending the money in the wrong place.
I definitely want it to have good performance, I just specified rims because I'm pulling ideas from cars he likes. But thanks to everyone for all the advice. I might just have him put it together (especially since men are so proud when they build things ) I think I've got all the info I need for now. I'm glad I asked in advance, the final product is needed next month and I still have a lot of places to call to get this gift.