Wiki Posts
Search

sand damage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2007, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Default sand damage?

Hey gang

First off I admit it. I am a noob and an idiot! I forgot to check the screws that hold my exhaust manafold to the block and well they came loose and my nitro dropped its exhaust. I cleaned it up as best I could but I fear some sand may have got into the block. I really think i got clean now that it is back together and ran it tonight everything seemed fine but....

if I missed somthing and there is sand in there how long will it take to show signs of damage and what will they be... loss of performance?

Since it is running well now am I pretty safe? Thanks
Old 06-04-2007, 07:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

you really should remove the engine and do a proper tear down and flush and clean the entire engine

http://www.hpiracing.com/walkthroughs/engrebuild.htm

Visit that link and read through how to take it apart and put it back together. You'll be doing this simply to inspect and clean out all areas of your engine, you can also verfiy the piston and sleev are in good shape
Old 06-04-2007, 07:51 PM
Tech Regular

seems like a good idea however I have read that you should not pull the piston from your engine without replacing it and the sleeve as during break in the settle into a postion and it is best to leave them be. and this engine has only had about 1/2 a gallon through it and I dont want to have to buy a new piston/sleeve unless I really need it. Do you think I would cause any harm in leaving it be till winter and then doing a full rebuild with a new piston and sleeve?
Old 06-04-2007, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Well it only takes a few grains of sand and you'll be replacing the pistons and sleeve anyway..

There is no reason why you cannot take it right apart. The sleeve is notched to gon in one way only, and the piston the same it only goes one way. Worst case is you run the engine though break in again. I highly doubt there is a problem doing a tear down rebuild to clean out sand.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:08 PM
Tech Regular

ok thanks!