Wiki Posts
Search

spektrum dx3 and servo's question

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default spektrum dx3 and servo's question

i was looking into some radio's and this one seems like a very nice unit.
really curious why it comes with servo's, because i've seen it much cheaper
without the included servo's. and i'm wondering if you need them in there to run proper with this radio?
are those servo's that good to begin with?
one Z270 servo and one Z590 servo
seemed like one was for stadium racing and the other for off road.

i'm interested in the radio more since it seems to eliminate all the potential channel problems.
would like some more info, i'm sure people here can fill me in.
thanks in advance!

ps- i dont really know much about the servo's i have now, they are stock on my revo 3.3 , but interested none the less :]
Old 05-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

no need to buy the radio with servos if you already have them and are happy with how they are doing. some radios are packages both with or without servos depending on wether you need them or not. there is nothing special about the spectum servos compared to regular, all are just plug and play with the reciever
Old 05-13-2007, 07:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The DX3.0 is not available as a radio only, unless you go to a shop and they're willing to part it out for you and try to sell the servos seperately. the Z590 is a metal geared servo, while the z279 us nylon. Another neat thing is I believe that the DX3.0 is still including a 2nd receiver for free too.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yea the new dx3.0 comes with an extra reciever and even the older model has an offer inside for a free one. The z590 metal is also high torque which always comes in handy. I use it for my throttle/duel brake on my revo and has worked flawlessly. Like Gary said the radio only comes in one form, which for its price and functions is well worth every penny. I love the DX system so much I now have two, one for my nitro's and one for the electrics. The range and the fact that channels aren't an issue anymore makes the spektrum system hard to beat. The only differance is the newer model out has a 4 model memory and moved menu buttons.
Old 05-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Tech Addict

Default receiver

I've read on these boards that the receivers can be a bit problematic. I bought a DX3 and the spare receiver had a dodgy connection and wouldn't work the steering servo, although it did glitch when plugged in. I've sent it back to Spektrum and am awaiting the outcome.
Old 05-14-2007, 06:56 AM
Tech Rookie

I have the DX3.0 and have not had a problem with it at all. I upgraded to the SR3001 Pro receiver for my buggy, but I run the included receiver and servos in my T-Maxx. The 590 serves as the steering and the 270 for the throttle/brake. Both perform very well. No glitching, no failures nothing. Very nice unit for the price.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by atebit
i was looking into some radio's and this one seems like a very nice unit.
really curious why it comes with servo's, because i've seen it much cheaper
without the included servo's. and i'm wondering if you need them in there to run proper with this radio?
are those servo's that good to begin with?
one Z270 servo and one Z590 servo
seemed like one was for stadium racing and the other for off road.

i'm interested in the radio more since it seems to eliminate all the potential channel problems.
would like some more info, i'm sure people here can fill me in.
thanks in advance!

ps- i dont really know much about the servo's i have now, they are stock on my revo 3.3 , but interested none the less :]

how much's the retail of DX3 in your place?
Old 05-15-2007, 05:06 AM
Tech Addict

I must admit the first dx system I got had the sr3000 and I had to return it. Good thing is that horizon fixed it free of charge and sent me and extra reciever for my trouble(which was the sr3001). So I really ended up getting three recievers with my first purchased dx3.0 system. They must have thought I never got my second free reciever from there offer with the orig. dx system. So 32819toon your not the only one with a problem. I would suggest calling them and sending a few e-mails aswell. I got mine back in like 2 weeks with that extra reciever I mentioned. A little whinning and pouting can go a long way, mention how you love theyre product and would hate to have to bad mouth it a the local track! Can't hurt to try and free stuff allways rocks
Old 05-15-2007, 06:56 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by steelhawke
I must admit the first dx system I got had the sr3000 and I had to return it. Good thing is that horizon fixed it free of charge and sent me and extra reciever for my trouble(which was the sr3001). So I really ended up getting three recievers with my first purchased dx3.0 system. They must have thought I never got my second free reciever from there offer with the orig. dx system. So 32819toon your not the only one with a problem. I would suggest calling them and sending a few e-mails aswell. I got mine back in like 2 weeks with that extra reciever I mentioned. A little whinning and pouting can go a long way, mention how you love theyre product and would hate to have to bad mouth it a the local track! Can't hurt to try and free stuff allways rocks
I had the same in mind. I already emailed them, and will do so again. Thanks steelhawke for the tip.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Tech Adept

i ended up buying the dx3. havent gotten it yet.
was watching a seller on ebay, had some radios up.
they did not include the servo's but other than that its complete and new in box.
only set me back 150.
has the manual and box all that good stuff.
i was reading that hitech servo's are nice, if i remember correct.
so no big loss on the servo's!

oh i almost forgot.
pretty certain i read the radio requires a reverse polarity battery right? (if using the rechargable pack for it)
i forgot to bookmark the part number , anyone have advice or a link?
also, do you use a charger included with the dx3 or any old charger?
Old 05-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Tech Addict

Toon you most likely won't get yours back as soon since your overseas, unless the have a service/repair over there. I live just one state north of they're repair center in Illinois .

Atebit I believe your correct with it needing a reverse rechargable stick pack, but not 100%. I would double check if you go buy one. I myself don't even bother buying rechargable stick packs for radios anymore. There's alot of name brand rechargable AA batteries out there nowadays(hint,hint Wal-mart!). I use energizer Nimh 2500mah AA's and charge them up on my regular car chargers. The cost is about the same $20 for 8 compared to a stick pack. They last for what seems like forever, 2+ months . I full them out time to time to cycle them and keep the voltage up but not because they aren't working. Use or get an old battery tray from a reciever that uses 8 AA's and use it as a charging base for them. Plus most stick packs I see only have like 1400mah and cost about $30+ at the LHS . Save a penny here and there and before you know it you got a good excuse to go buy another RC toy!