Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
1/10 Kit - from the ground up >

1/10 Kit - from the ground up

1/10 Kit - from the ground up

Old 05-04-2007, 08:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/10 Kit - from the ground up

Hello...

I feel like crap posting this, cause there are already a ton of "newb" posts, but I guess that is what this forum is for.

My contribution to the pile is this... I am looking for an on-road (probably electric but could be nitro I guess) that is a 100% assembly required kit. Reason being is this... I want to take my time, build it from the ground up, and know where EVERYTHING goes, and does, and ect... That way, I won't have to whine to someone about "my diff is busted, what do I do?", or "Can someone fix this?". Difficulty rating (if I can borrow a term from the plastic model world) is not an issue. I would actually prefer it to be as hard as possible.

Of course, I would like to know what the best kit out there is that fits this criteria, but also conforms to a performance agenda too. I doubt I will be running comps with this, mostly neighborhood and parking lot laps. Please don't hold back on something because I won't be running in sanctioned races, and don't worry about money (although, I can't justify $1000 for an RC car, even though it will eventually cost me that over a year I guess).

Some things I have seen on some sites that I like are the "real" rims (meaning not the solid white racing plugs), "real tread" rubber tires, ect...

I guess what I am asking for is something that will take me a week or more to assemble, and something I can be proud of owning because it DID take a while to create.

Thank you for your time, and I look forward to all of your suggestions. Oh, and if you could include a link to what you are talking about, that would be great!!!

Crap, one more thing... I doubt seriously that I know everything I will need to actually run the car. So, if there is some kind of check list somewhere, that details EVERYTHING you need to run a car (after assembly), I would be most interested in that as well. Thank you again!
Old 05-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Tech Initiate

good for you mate, it's good to see someone who wants to have a bit of input into what they want to drive around..

As far as i know you can get any kit either needing assembly or ready to run, it's really just a question of what style, on/off-road, nitro/electric, shaft or belt drive etc etc..... not too sure if it'll take a week to put together though, ones i've come across really only take a few hours, but look around i'm sure i could be wrong on that.

As for after assembly, Battery's, (A GOOD) charger, radio gear and controller, steering servos, throttle servo(if nitro), and a good speed controller. that should just about set you up..

hope it helps a little
Old 05-15-2007, 03:32 PM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up Kit

Try a Serpent 710/ or 720 base price $420.00- $450.00 ,engine and pipe set $270.00( Mega zx) servo's (my preference Jr 9000T- 9000S) $114.00ea or you can get some much cheaper than that just for bashing.

Last edited by Manny Fresh; 05-15-2007 at 03:34 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 05-16-2007, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

On road electric...
If you want to enjoy building, I would suggest an Xray. If you are not going to race, you do not have to get the most recent version. Out of all the kits I've built, nothing goes together smoother than xray. Holding each part while you build, you can actually feel the amount of engineering that went into the car.

I would stay away from american kits as they are a little bulky and parts quality do not compare with the imports... The parts are not even made in the americas anyway...

On road nitro...
Team Magic G4S
Mugen MTX4
Serpent 720
These are little technical marvels.. some people find it a little tedious to build and set up these kits but it is absolutely worth it. You should be able to find one new in box for about 350.00...

If you want to venture into off road, let me know so I can give you other recommendations.

You WILL APPRECIATE a good set of tools. The tools the car kits come with are worthless.

A good radio and servo's are a must considering the investment you are making in building the car.... You don't have to go as far as futaba 3pk, airtronics m11, or the ko helios if you are not racing, but a basic fm radio, futaba fasst radio, or at the last resort, a spektrum based unit like a dx3 will do.

Worry about motor or engine after you learn how to drive. I would advise not starting with an expensive engine or motor as its going to be a learner...

Batteries, chargers.. if building an electric kit, good quality electric components are also a must. What no one tells you is that high end chargers require a power supply that runs about a 100.00 themselves!!!
Electronic speed control... if not racing, you can get by non competition esc... a high end ones will cost over a 100.00.

High end nitro on road cars require a starter box. Period. A pull starter or rotostart engines will not fit a high end nitro car. Starter box will run about 80.00.

Body, wheels, tires... you are set to go.
Hopefully the cost is not too discouraging. Nitro or electric, the bottom line is, their cost is similar once you factor in all equipment.

let me know if you need a little more organized breakdown or have more questions.