Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Removing the pull start from an AE engine >

Removing the pull start from an AE engine

Removing the pull start from an AE engine

Old 03-21-2003, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Removing the pull start from an AE engine

I'm behind the eight-ball here. I've searched high & low for a 29034 AE non-pull backplate kit to loose the pull start on the .12 engine in my NTC3. None of the local hobby shops have one (I checked 10 in the D/FW area). The two that normally stock the backplate say it's backordered. I checked Tower & Stormer & they are out of stock. Hobby People & Horizon don't seem to stock it. Another LHS told me to take the pull-start backplate apart & fill the hole with JB Weld (having a plug of JB Weld in the hole doesn't inspire confidence that it will hold up the rigors of racing, the effects of Glow Fuel, or a real hard hit on a board ).

Any suggestions on another backplate that will possibly work? There is one local shop that has a lot of used/used up engines I may be able to get a backplate off of. I've also thought about tapping out the hole & putting a pipe plug in it. Any other suggestions? I'm trying to eliminate the source of a possible air leak. TIA

Bill (NTC3 RTR)
Old 03-21-2003, 09:56 PM
Tech Elite

Default Removing the pull start from an AE engine

GP40X;

Sounds like you understand what to do, but just having parts Trouble. The Associated engines are made by Thunder Tiger. Possibly the USA T.T. distributor could help.

When I removed the P/S's on my HPI engines, the LHS sold me a backplate from an O.S. CV and they worked fine. I wouldn't Butcher up the P/S plate that you have now, mostly for the Air leak reason and you may want to put the Pull Start back on one day. (OHhhh.... WHAT was I thinking!!)