Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default New need advice

Hey everyone whats up. Ive been reading up on R/C cars for about the last month and have decided to buy a kit. Im on a budget so ive decided to bulid a electric 1/10 scale truck rather then a nitro truck. I want to bulid my first kit from scratch rather then buying a rtr kit and i have been looking at two choices. The team associated RC10T4 or the team losi xxxt Matt Francis 2. I was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on which is better for the money and which is a better truck for a beginner. Also what might be easyier to bulid and maintain if something breaks. I have no clue about good motor and esc combos so if you guys have any suggestions about them feel free to post your ideas as well.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i would say get the mf2 thats what i started on and it is a awsome truck, besides that most ppl (at the track i race at) race the mf2 so if you break anything you can ask someone for parts
Old 02-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Tech Addict

to tell you the truth mate i cant help you with the cars that you have picked as i have never used or built one myself

also are you going to start racing or just bash etc?

also what is your budget as you could go out and by some top end radio gear and esc etc so there will be no need to upgrade when you race or what ever you are going to do or you by some of the cheaper radio gear on the market and upgrade as you skill proceeds.
Old 02-25-2007, 11:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Well my closest track is about 35 mins away so i plan on racing every now and then. But me and some friends are in the process of buliding a home made track . I was considering getting mid grade stuff to start out with. Maybe a burshed motor and a mid grade novak esc. Something that i can run a 6 cell NiCad battery on. I figured as i gained experience i might upgrade to a brushless system.
Old 02-25-2007, 05:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

if your wanting or thingking of doing any racing dont go with the ni-cd batteries use ni-mh batteries insted they pack much more power and have longer run time yes they may be more pricie but are worth the defference and go with at least a 3300mah.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

What type of motors should i look at? I really like the mamba maxx system but i jsut cant afford that at the moment. Is there any cheaper brushless motors that i could look into or is there a decently fast brushed motor out there that i could look at. I was thinking about something from team orion or reedy.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

if your planning on racing anytime soon, make sure your local race track has classes for the brushless systems. most places i have raced at haven't gottin into brushless. you'll forsure have a brushed stock motor class.

if i were you i'd buy an esc that can run a good mod motor without any problem. Also buy some ni-mh batteries. as far as radio gear, you don't need to have the best stuff to have fun. i'd go with an AM 75 mhz radio (or 27 mhz if you want to go cheaper).

hope this helps.

alex.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ive kinda changed my mind here. I found some good prices on some nitro rtr kits and I really wanted to go nitro so i think im going to purchase a nitro rtr kit. Im looking at the RC10 GT2 RS RTR, the XXX-NT2 RTR, and the HPI Firestorm 10T. If anyone has had any experience with those kits i would appericate the feedback. Thanks.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

the xxx-nt rtr2 is a nice kit. the radio gear is nice and the servos will do. plus a few people i've talked to say the mach .15 is a nice motor.

i'd consider the xxx-nt rtr2 first then the gt2.

my 2 cents.