installing 2 speed gearbox >

installing 2 speed gearbox

installing 2 speed gearbox

Old 01-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default installing 2 speed gearbox

Hi,
I've just installed a new 2 speed gearbox into my car. I haven't finished re-building the car as I may have a problem. When I turn the rear wheels together, they are very tight and difficult to turn. When I put the car down and try to push it along, there is quite a bit of resistance. This isn't normal is it ? What could be wrong ?
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
32819toon
Old 01-16-2007, 02:18 AM
Tech Apprentice

What car is it? Sounds like the diff might be too tight or there is some binding somewhere in the transmission. Remove the whole rear assembly and see it the problem is confined to that area. If so , then check the diff and make sure it's set properly and everything else is moving freely.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 222 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 32819toon
Hi,
I've just installed a new 2 speed gearbox into my car. I haven't finished re-building the car as I may have a problem. When I turn the rear wheels together, they are very tight and difficult to turn. When I put the car down and try to push it along, there is quite a bit of resistance. This isn't normal is it ? What could be wrong ?
Thanks for your help.
Regards,
32819toon
how is the gear mesh?
Old 01-17-2007, 07:10 AM
Tech Addict

This was before I installed the engine. Another observation I've made. When I turn the wheels at the rear, should the spur gears also rotate, and as the engine is in place, also turn the gears on the clutch bell ? They are not moving. When I move the spur gears, the wheels sort of rotate, but not much. The diff is quite free and the gear mesh is OK.

I've stripped everything down again and I can't see that anything is wrong with the assembly. Can anyone shed any light on to this ?
Old 01-17-2007, 09:31 AM
Super Moderator

This was before I installed the engine. Another observation I've made. When I turn the wheels at the rear, should the spur gears also rotate, and as the engine is in place, also turn the gears on the clutch bell ? They are not moving. When I move the spur gears, the wheels sort of rotate, but not much. The diff is quite free and the gear mesh is OK.

I've stripped everything down again and I can't see that anything is wrong with the assembly. Can anyone shed any light on to this ?
how about the one-way bearing in the transmission?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Marcos.J
how about the one-way bearing in the transmission?
Hi Marcos, what do you mean when you say "how about the one-way bearing in the transmission?" - what about it ?
Old 01-18-2007, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Marcos, what do you mean when you say "how about the one-way bearing in the transmission?" - what about it ?
there is a oneway bearing in the transmission itself were the 2nd spur gear attaches to, that you need to keep very well lubed with oneway libe, look at your installation manual for the transmission
Old 01-18-2007, 11:09 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks Marcos - O know the one you mean. I lubed it when I put it in. Everything just seems so tight !! I've moved the gear mesh about and it doesn't make any difference.
Old 01-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Marcos - O know the one you mean. I lubed it when I put it in. Everything just seems so tight !! I've moved the gear mesh about and it doesn't make any difference.
dont know what esle to tell you but take it all apart and build it again check the shaft bearings too