Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
First race this weekend...suggestions? >

First race this weekend...suggestions?

First race this weekend...suggestions?

Old 12-14-2006, 04:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default First race this weekend...suggestions?

Hey guys, Im running in my first race this weekend at my hometown carpet track. Any suggestions for what I should remember? (and of course remembering to have fun is a given)
Old 12-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Yeah.

Stay on the track.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Get as much practice / track time that you can. Always remeber that when qualifying, you are on your own clock; do not race the other cars and always let the faster car(s) by, you will both get better times in the end.

The most important thing is to go out and have fun; there is always next week.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:38 AM
Tech Addict

my tip is dont just sit in the corner on your own with your pit get up and walk around, talk to everyone as everyone is there to help you and give you advice watch the pros at the track when they race to see what lines they take etc and even ask them to help as most pros will help any newbie along
Old 12-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Try and get a few practice laps in before the race. And remember to stay calm during the race. Good Luck!
Old 12-14-2006, 11:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (96%+)

when somebody passes you always move to the left or slow down.. experience driver always pass through the inside that means on the right side... make sure all batteries are in good charge check for false peak.did that once do a couple of practice run before the race to check for any problem in setup. and have fun! . ohh and also on the main let all other caR run first to avoid getting stuck if pile up wil occure.(if ever that will happend)
Old 12-14-2006, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

In addition to all the good advice so far...

Don't get discouraged when something breaks. (Not if, but most likely "when").

Between rounds, check your car and make sure wheel nuts are tight, screws are tight, etc. You're only going to get about 20 minutes of track time (assuming 3 5 minute qualifiers and a 5 minute main). So, maximize the track time by avoiding "rookie mistakes" - batteries not fully charged, wheel comes off because wheel nut not tightened, etc.

Have fun.
Old 12-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 192 (100%+)

most important! "have fun"
Old 12-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

A few:

Talk to the race director, he can prob direct you towards certain racers that will be willing to help (you may get lucky on your own but be willing to face the fact that alot of Joe-Pro mentality exist at some tracks and it's unfortunant).

Get to the line fast, and get ready to marshal fast as well (again in regards to the track director, if you get a rep for being a slacker/pain in the ass it wont help you much)

Don't think you have to win, make room for faster racers- and say "thank you" when another racer lets you by. Hacking sucks, all there is to it. Some racers will hack you every time because they somehow think spending big money='s "I'm better", but sometimes you gotta hold your breath and work around them (You can usually spot said hacker by custom painted shell, a tendecy to make grunting sounds, and a tendecy to wreck in the infield despite a fast car on the straight ) *disclaimer-custom paint doesn't equal hacker,just a reference to the guy who thinks he should win because he spent more than you

Have fun. And don't quit because you feel like a stranger the first time. RC is a quirky community and only time will make you one of the crowd. Above all don't take any b.s. just be down to race. Hth.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:34 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 192 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nf_ekt
A few:

Talk to the race director, he can prob direct you towards certain racers that will be willing to help (you may get lucky on your own but be willing to face the fact that alot of Joe-Pro mentality exist at some tracks and it's unfortunant).

Get to the line fast, and get ready to marshal fast as well (again in regards to the track director, if you get a rep for being a slacker/pain in the ass it wont help you much)

Don't think you have to win, make room for faster racers- and say "thank you" when another racer lets you by. Hacking sucks, all there is to it. Some racers will hack you every time because they somehow think spending big money='s "I'm better", but sometimes you gotta hold your breath and work around them (You can usually spot said hacker by custom painted shell, a tendecy to make grunting sounds, and a tendecy to wreck in the infield despite a fast car on the straight ) *disclaimer-custom paint doesn't equal hacker,just a reference to the guy who thinks he should win because he spent more than you

Have fun. And don't quit because you feel like a stranger the first time. RC is a quirky community and only time will make you one of the crowd. Above all don't take any b.s. just be down to race. Hth.
thats pretty good Jon
Old 12-20-2006, 10:23 AM
Tech Apprentice

How did you do ?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:21 PM
Tech Elite

Not well..I lost my receiver crystal in transit to the track and the case of my backup transmitter cracked so I didn't even get to turn a lap. Anybody have an old radio system they aren't using anymore that they wouldn;t mind letting me have til I save some money for a Spektrum?
Old 12-21-2006, 05:20 AM
Tech Initiate

did you ask anuone at the track if they had a spare?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

I did...with no luck. BUt the guys were really helpful in helping out as I went about the day (and even helped me pinpoint my radio troubles.) I'll see if I can send my backup transmitter away and get a repair or replacement. I know that with the advent of 2.4 Ghz technology Im hoping that I can get that done in relatively short order so that I can make another trip before I head back to school.