Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to 1/8th Nitro, which .21 engine/pipe should i get??? >

New to 1/8th Nitro, which .21 engine/pipe should i get???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to 1/8th Nitro, which .21 engine/pipe should i get???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default New to 1/8th Nitro, which .21 engine/pipe should i get???

Hi guys, ive got a losi 8ight coming for christmas, and i wanted to get some ideas on which engine/pipe combo for it. Im totally new to the nitro scene but i have some friends that have been racing it for awhile. Just kinda wanted to scrub what they have been recomending against some other opinions. Im basically looking for something durable that a newb like myself cant screw up, and when i get familiar with it something that will let me compete at the local track, theres quite a few fast guys there so id like to get something competitve so i dont have to buy twice. Thanks in advance
Old 11-28-2006, 01:49 AM
Tech Elite

thunder tiger pro21bx-r and hpi ribbed savage tuned pipe.....totally INSANE combo.....had it in my dragster and was running 2.8's ....had it in my savage which i still do and 12 gallons after its still popppin wheelies.....

if u want i can sell u the pipe....its a purple anodized one.....pm me if u want
Old 12-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The TTR .21 isnt so bad but dont put a freekin savage ribbed pipe in an 1/8 scale buggy. For the 125-150.00$ range i would get an OS RG or Novarossi n21bf or an RBconcept econo 3port(identical to rossi engine).
If you want a great all around race motor pick a Novarossi P5 (rex,top or nova). At around 275.00 they are the best all around motor for the price.
If you want an indestructable pipe get a Jammin JP2 they are good all track pipe and they hold up great. If you want a more buget minded pipe that makes big powr get a ofna 086. They are cheap and work great but they crush easy.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by schmelme
The TTR .21 isnt so bad but dont put a freekin savage ribbed pipe in an 1/8 scale buggy. For the 125-150.00$ range i would get an OS RG or Novarossi n21bf or an RBconcept econo 3port(identical to rossi engine).
If you want a great all around race motor pick a Novarossi P5 (rex,top or nova). At around 275.00 they are the best all around motor for the price.
If you want an indestructable pipe get a Jammin JP2 they are good all track pipe and they hold up great. If you want a more buget minded pipe that makes big powr get a ofna 086. They are cheap and work great but they crush easy.
what the hells wrong with putting a savage pipe on a buggy? if it didnt have SAVAGE in the sentence ppl would use it.....but they THINK its ONLY for the savage....and NOTHING else.....well theyre gay
Old 12-05-2006, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

AS schmelme said, OS RG, RB 3 port and a good tuned pipe. Trust us on this one. If you can, try and run Odonnell fuel. It's been the most reliable and consistent fuel I've ever used. And it smells good too

New OS's are around $125 I think and the RB is probably around $160 ish. With the OS you'll need an exhaust back plate.

Concentrate on driving and improving your skills with this combo. Depending on the track size, even one of these engines can still be competitive.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ProudSavageOwnr
what the hells wrong with putting a savage pipe on a buggy? if it didnt have SAVAGE in the sentence ppl would use it.....but they THINK its ONLY for the savage....and NOTHING else.....well theyre gay
So now we're gay because our setups are not the same as yours? Of course.

If you had any idea on how ribbed pipes work, they mainly enhance low-end power, which is great for bashers and heavy monster trucks, but racing-oriented buggies needs to be equipped with mid- or high-end pipes, like the Jammin JP series or the OFNA 053/086.

Originally Posted by xrayeddy
AS schmelme said, OS RG, RB 3 port and a good tuned pipe. Trust us on this one. If you can, try and run Odonnell fuel. It's been the most reliable and consistent fuel I've ever used. And it smells good too

New OS's are around $125 I think and the RB is probably around $160 ish. With the OS you'll need an exhaust back plate.

Concentrate on driving and improving your skills with this combo. Depending on the track size, even one of these engines can still be competitive.
Well put. Don't forget about OS' new VG series too, they offer the same reliability and ease of tuning as the RG series but has even more grunt to it. I believe Novarossi also has a 3 port .21 motor for about $170 too, but I have not seen one run so I can't comment how effective it is.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

give STS D21b with their pipe or the TTR EFRA pipe, should be pretty good combo for budget.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:43 AM
Tech Elite

i cannot say that my modded ttr .21 is the fastest engine and will beat your engine but i can say that all the offroad buggies,onroad touring cars which are nitro and monster trucks i have raced i have always won....the only thing i cannot beat is my rc18t which is at the 130-140 kph mark
Old 01-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

OS RG is discontinued and replaced with the VG, very good engine for the money, otherwise 3 port from Collari or RB...
JP1 and Jp2 are good pipes and the hard anodized ones last a long time.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I have an RB WS7 2 with a Jammin JP-3 Hardcoated in my truggy and it rips, my buggy as of right now sits motorless, but i'll probably using the same setup, but with a RB WS7 3... hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2007, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Euro Stealth
I have an RB WS7 2 with a Jammin JP-3 Hardcoated in my truggy and it rips, my buggy as of right now sits motorless, but i'll probably using the same setup, but with a RB WS7 3... hope this helps.
JP-3 pipe
Old 02-05-2007, 05:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran the OS RG in the finals for the CORCS series up in Canada and i did very well with it, it gets great milage and enough power for almost any 1/8 track and cheap to run super easy to tune. The VG should do just as good but with a little more jam to it and for a pipe i was running best with the JP-2 pipe. Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:51 AM
Tech Adept

i am a little suprised no one has mentioned the OS VZ-B and matched pipe.

good, hard working, reliable and easy to tune motor.

in my books, you cant go wrong with a good OS if you are just starting out (or a pro)