Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Alloy Motor Mount Heat Sink >

Alloy Motor Mount Heat Sink

Alloy Motor Mount Heat Sink

Old 11-16-2006, 10:33 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Alloy Motor Mount Heat Sink

Hi i have an aluminium heatsink and am pleased with it but...

I was wondering if a alloy motor mount heat sink is just as good, not as good or just not worth it?

P.S. anyone know of a racing club near wolverhampton uk that i can race my tt01?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Master

Most times in fabrication of R/C parts aluminum is mixed with other compounds to create different forms of aluminum. You're aluminum heatsink is fine, and definatly not inferior in any way, shape, or form to the "Alloy" one. Chances are, the "Alloy" one is only labeled alloy in the first place is to attract attention and show off. Look for a grade on the packaging. 6061 is good, 7075 is better. If all the packaging says is "Alloy" it probably means that the quality of the aluminum isn't good enough to advertise. Anything less than 6061 is considered "Marine Grade". 6061 is considered "Aircraft Grade". 7075 and above is considered "Spacecraft Grade". Alloy is probably just the manufacturers way of saying, "Our part isn't made out of good enough materials to list, so we're gonna call it alloy!" Integy labels their aluminum parts "Alloy" but they are some of the weaker parts you can get. If the alloy one is any different I'd have to say it's weaker yet lighter. The thermal conductivity of the metal will probably remain similar, but the overall design of the fins and cooling surface will really define the efficiency of the part, more than the quality of the alloy. Aluminum has a pretty consistent thermal conductivity when you look across the different grades, although quality and thermal conductivity do go hand in hand. Again, the efficiency of the design and the amount of cooling surfaces will be the real factor in how fast the part can cool your motor.

Stick with your aluminum heatsink. The alloy one is more than likely not worth it. If you already upgraded the part once, why upgrade the same one again? Spend the money on a different aspect of your car.