Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
What's a tire truer? And who makes good rubber tires for asphalt? > What's a tire truer? And who makes good rubber tires for asphalt?

What's a tire truer? And who makes good rubber tires for asphalt?

Old 10-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Default What's a tire truer? And who makes good rubber tires for asphalt?

While I'm slowing saving up and selling stuff I don't use very often (PSP, Ninty DS, Ipod if anyone is interested) I'm researching all the stuff I'll need to buy including tools. And I see that there are these things called tire truers, are they necessary, and what are they for? So far I got my eye on the xray t2r and I'm hoping to run this on my street which is pretty well maintained with no potholes or much debris lying around, so I'm wondering what kinda tires would be good for this. In a seperate thread I read that someone mentioned getting premounted/preglued tires if you're going to race (which I do hope to do once I get settled into the hobby), but I did a bit of searching noticed that most companies don't offer preglued tires, am I looking in the wrong places?
Old 10-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Tech Adept

tire truers are for foam tires, you don't need one.
as for practicing in front of your house, I would go with HPI X radials. Don't worry about premounts, those are for the track. When you're ready for them try: speedtechrc.com
If you come down to the track, most of your questions will be answered.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

once you start racing go for sorex tires.
ask at your local track for wat gradient you should use
Old 10-15-2006, 12:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Depending on the place your going to race will determine what shore rating you'll run. Some good brands to consider would be Sorex and Take-Off. You can take a look at these brands at http://speedtechrc.com . Shore rating will relate to tire temp. The higher tire temp the higher the rating. I race indoors in Seattle so the temp is pretty constant, I use 36R Sorex Premounts. As the temp drops improbably gonna switch to 32R in the middle of November. The best thing to do is ask the other guys what tire there using, chances are they know what to use. Best of Luck !!!