Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
rear/side exhaust >

rear/side exhaust

rear/side exhaust

Old 02-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

Default rear/side exhaust

Is there any advantages in getting either a side or rear exhaust?
Should I stay away from pullstarts?
Old 02-07-2003, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Default side exhaust

i have a HPI nitro rs4 and the best thing i did was install a side exhaust! you will notice the increase in performance from the rear exhaust. and a starter box is the way to go. you will take off the weight of the pull start, and i have noticed non pull start motors are more consistant than pull start. but really it is your prefrence because it is your car!!
Old 02-07-2003, 03:45 PM
Tech Adept

is the side exhaust better in all kinds of situations?
I'm planning to buy a kit. I'm trying to do my research, and I'm leaning towards a TC3. I'm just looking for a cheap place.
Old 02-07-2003, 03:50 PM
Tech Rookie

the tc3 is a good car but have you looked at the HPI rs4? and yes the side exhust can work well with any car or truck on or off road! i have drove both and the rs4 and tc3 are about the same.
Old 02-07-2003, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

performance wise the pullstart is no good(more drag on engine internals). But it beats luggin the ol' box. So its performance v. convenience here. choose wisely
Old 02-12-2003, 10:47 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: rear/side exhaust

Originally posted by nitrosaurus
Is there any advantages in getting either a side or rear exhaust?
Should I stay away from pullstarts?
There is no real advantage from both of the exhausts. There is a slight performance increase on the rear exhaust. That is because if you follow the flow of the fuel/air mixture from the carb through the ports into the compression chamber, a side exhaust engine has a 90 deg bend in the flow of the expanding gases. The rear exhaust does not have that bend, so it is a bit more efficient in fuel consumption, and a bit higher on the power curve.
Old 02-13-2003, 03:47 AM
Tech Rookie

OK infinity if the rear exhaust is better than why haven't i found one? i am running the HPI RS4 with a .12 novarosse and i couldn't pull any power with the stock rear exhaust but when I broke down and converted to a header and pipe for the side exhaust it was like i had put a whole new motor in the car ( I could acually see the power the motor had) Ihave treid many rear exhaust and can't find one that can perform like a side exhaust maybe you can suggest some becuse i would much rather run my exhaust out the back of the car then down the side!
Old 02-13-2003, 02:30 PM
Tech Elite

When upgrading the pipe and header, you will definitely notice a power change regardless if it is a side or rear exhaust engine. Also keep in mind the type of header that is used, as well as the length of the pipe play a huge role on engine performance. Furthermore, most kits that come pre-assembled have economic radio and engine systems that are mainly used for those at the entry level. When you spend the money to get performance items, you will notice the increased difference. As I stated earlier, there is no real performance advantage a rear exhaust has to a side exhaust assuming all other variables are equal.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:35 AM
Tech Chat Moderator

Well, i think if your get a new engine you should get a tuned pipe and a manifold. The stock nrs4-2 manifold is crap......so is the muffler. I had a RB Concepts c12 turbo in my nrs4 which was pretty fast and powerful. Now i have a team sts mt12 in there which is very powerful. It makes me hate my nrs4 in a way because of the piss poor gearing u have to use. I am curently runing the 15/18 clutchbell because with 13 teeth for the 1st gear is has a very had time taking off. It would gladly spin to heck until it shifts.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Default TheRagunCajun;

I am currently running the 15/18 clutchbell because with 13 teeth for the 1st gear is has a very had time taking off. It would gladly spin to heck until it shifts.
The solution (though expensive) is the Kyosho "Orange" clutch for the old Spyder cars. Offers a more progressive grip and better acceleration. $45 usd. Sorry don't have the PN.