Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New here and have some questions >

New here and have some questions

New here and have some questions

Old 09-10-2006, 06:51 AM
Tech Initiate

Default New here and have some questions

I just recently purchased a Tamiya 1/10th Volvo 850 BTCC R/C car kit. It is an awsome kit and I cannot wait to put it together.

However I do have some questions to ask you guys.

1. It doesn't include the recommended Tamiya Electronic Speed Control and Radio Unit. Also requires a 7.2V Ni-Cd Racing Pack battery which isn't included.

In the booklet it recommends this unit to buy, ADSPEC R/C System which consists of the transmitter, C.P.R. unit and steering servo. I found that there is an ADSPEC I and also a ADSPEC II. The ADSPEC I seems to be what I need for this project. However are there any others on the market that are cheaper then this system that have the same parts and does the same thing. That will work with this R/C car.

2. About the battery it says in the booklet that I need a Tamiya Ni-Cd 7.2V 1700mAh Racing Pack SCRC for maximum performance and also a Tamiya Ni-Cd 7.2V 1400mAh Racing Pack Np.

On another forum I was told I could use the GP 3300 battery pack. Is this true? What batteries would you guys suggest that I use?

Thank you guys in advance for your help.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:38 AM
Tech Initiate

get what ever battery you want, just remember, if your batts are ni-cd, make sure you have a ni-cd charger!! If they are ni-mh you need a ni-mh charger

ni-mh is better(longer run time) than ni-cd
li-po is better(longer run time) than ni-mh

The "mah" is milli amp hours, the higher the number the longer your car will run

If you got the money, get li-po batteries and a li-po charger with the highest "mah" you can.

All stick packs are 7.2 volts looks like this
Attached Thumbnails New here and have some questions-ascc7637.jpg  
Old 09-10-2006, 07:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

You have an older kit, if I remember correctly, the 850 was raced about 8 or 9 years ago so your instruction booklet would be around the same age and offer only current(at the time) info.

Yes, you can use 3300's and if you like, you can piece together your own Radio/esc/steering servo kit as there are a variety of choices.

You need to ask yourself what you intend to do in RC, beit collect, bash, or race.
If you are going to bash or collect, you dont really need anything too extravagent for your radio system.

If you are going to race, I would suggest something just a little more highend with more tuning options.

I think that a good overall system would be a Spektrum radio system. They are good for racing, come with 2 ok servos, and you dont have to worry about radio frequency conflicts.
LOOK HERE FOR SPEKTRUM

Then you just need an esc, and for what your car is, you can probably get away with something like a quantum sport or AI if you want something new.
Or you can go used and pick up a Cyclone TC, qc2 or something along those lines.

I hope this info helps, and just relax, do your research. You dont need to get something right away, make sure you make the right purchases for what you are going to be doing.

Good luck
Nate
Old 09-10-2006, 12:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Thank you for the information.

I will be using this R/C car for personal use ONLY. I will not be racing it in any events or even against friends.

I just need a good system that will make this R/C car operational. I am not looking to spend $100+ on this either, at least I would like to keep it under $100

Thanks

P.S. I was looking into these models. Can you guys confirm which ones would work well with my R/C car? Thanks.

Airtronics BL2DR 2-Channel AM/2 94102Z Servos
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCFW0**&P=0

$57.99

Airtronics BL2DR 2-Channel AM/1 94102Z Servo
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXCFW2**&P=0

$42.99

Airtronics MX-A 2-Channel AM/1 94102Z Servo
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXJUZ5**&P=0

$62.99

Futaba 2PH 2-Channel AM/1 S3003 Servo
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXASX2**&P=0

$42.99

Futaba 2PH 2-Channel AM/2 S3003 Servos
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXASX3**&P=0

$47.99

Tower Hobbies 2TXP 2-Channel AM/1 TS-53 Servo
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXXB01**&P=0

$42.99
Old 09-10-2006, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

I would go with that one, because you only need one servo.
But you will need a esc however
Old 09-10-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Fastburn

I would go with that one, because you only need one servo.
But you will need a esc however
Where can I get an ESC that will work with the transmitter and my R/C car?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:28 PM
Tech Initiate

While checking out Tamiya's website I noticed that their, C.P.R. units are discontinued. Is this a bad thing? Or can something else be substituted for it?

C.P.R. Unit Set (P-05DB)
Item #45012 (DISCONTINUED)

C.P.R. Unit P-100F
Item #45010 (DISCONTINUED)

Oh not to mention that their...

Electronic Speed Controller - ESC
Item #45031 (DISCONTINUED)
Old 09-11-2006, 06:43 AM
Tech Initiate

Just out of curiosity. I have never used a pistol grip type radio/ transmitter before. I have used the little radio that is like a box with two joysticks.

1. Can a the little box type with two joysticks work with my R/C car?

2. If not, my question becomes how do you turn the car around with the pistol grip type of radio?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I prefer the pistol, turning the car is much easier, as is giving throttle and gas, after getting used to the difference. for esc, what size motor are you planning on running(turns). There are a ton of ESC on the market, so you need to look for what size motor they take, and also size. Do you have much motor experience (tuning, comm cutting)? Do you already have a motor? If you have neither, a brushless might be the answer for you, I personally run brushed motors, but a brushless has very little maintanence and can be useful for a beginner. Plus the brushless speed controls, at least most of them, will run a brushed motor.
HTH
Rod
Old 09-11-2006, 07:30 AM
Tech Initiate

The R/C car comes with a motor.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:42 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by BTCC Collector
Just out of curiosity. I have never used a pistol grip type radio/ transmitter before. I have used the little radio that is like a box with two joysticks.

1. Can a the little box type with two joysticks work with my R/C car?

2. If not, my question becomes how do you turn the car around with the pistol grip type of radio?

For ten years I used the box with two joysticks and there's nothing wrong with using them. I just recently switched to the pistol grip style, and got used to it in 6 or 8 runs. I think they are alot easy to hold than the two sticks, but i'ts all what you like beter

To give it gas, you pull the trigger
to brake you push th trigger
to turn, you turn the wheel like a stearing wheel in a car
This is the radio I have
Attached Thumbnails New here and have some questions-hrcj83.jpg  
Old 09-11-2006, 08:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Thedub88
For ten years I used the box with two joysticks and there's nothing wrong with using them. I just recently switched to the pistol grip style, and got used to it in 6 or 8 runs. I think they are alot easy to hold than the two sticks, but i'ts all what you like beter

To give it gas, you pull the trigger
to brake you push th trigger
to turn, you turn the wheel like a stearing wheel in a car
This is the radio I have
That radio looks hella nice. But again I am not looking to spend $100 + for just a radio. I would hope to spend maybe $120 total for the radio and other parts needed.
Old 09-11-2006, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXKHX7**&P=0

check that link out, its radio, servo and esc for 119 USD.

I dont know how good everything is, but I imagine that its about the best price/value for your buck with everything you need. It even has the Tamiya style connectors for use with any stick battery pack.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Fastburn
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXKHX7**&P=0

check that link out, its radio, servo and esc for 119 USD.

I dont know how good everything is, but I imagine that its about the best price/value for your buck with everything you need. It even has the Tamiya style connectors for use with any stick battery pack.
Thank you

I will ask the guy at the hobby shop about it tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2006, 05:21 PM
Tech Initiate

I was asked if I wanted to upgrade to ball bearings instead of bushings. If I am not going to be racing this R/C car and not running it like everyday.

The question is is it worth it or not? $30-$50 for ball bearings.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.