Wiki Posts
Search

Pushing cells...What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 02:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Pushing cells...What is it?

Hi,
i've heard about "pushing cells" but i don't know correclyt what it means...
It's just discharging cells at high discharge courrent, is it right?
What "improvement" willl i have?
Thanks in advantage for your help...

Crim
Old 07-23-2006, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Technically, pushing the cells would correspond to charging. (Discharging would be pulling)
The higher charge rate, the more punch your batteries will have, but at the cost of battery life because of the extra heat build up.
Old 07-24-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default discharging/cycling

Originally Posted by XrayFK
Technically, pushing the cells would correspond to charging. (Discharging would be pulling)
The higher charge rate, the more punch your batteries will have, but at the cost of battery life because of the extra heat build up.
Hi. Just a rookie question. What is the maximum charge rate that batteries can tolerate? And what's the ideal charge and discharge rate to keep batts in tip-top shape? What's the advantage/disadvantage of cycling batts and how would you do it? thanks...
Old 07-24-2006, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

and depending on wat quality batts they are .... if they are cheap packs i wouldnt charge at high amps like 5 or 8 ... i would charge like 2 amps

for mini 2/3a cells or RX packs the ideal charge rate is 1.5 but if ur pack is more high quality u can charge at 2

and for lipo and li ion packs do not charge at more than their MAH orelse they will swell up and then ur screwed....they will blow up
Old 07-24-2006, 10:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

you can basically charge them at what you want, BUT 2 things, teh higher teh charge rate the shorter the life of the battery and I wouldnt go over about 6.5 or so, on NiMH. each place you buy batteries from will have a recommended charge rate/discharge rate for the best performance of your batteries. I charge my IB3600's, IB3800's and my CHeapo 3300's at 6 amps. I sometimes hit the 3300s at 4.5 when I use my super brain. For Stick packs, Maybe 4-5 amps, depending on what they are, like a 1500, I wouldn't really waste my time charging it unless it was an rx pack. Now for rx packs, you wnat to charge those at low amps, like 1 or so.
HTH
Rod
Old 07-25-2006, 03:04 PM
Tech Rookie

No, there was a missunderstanding

My fault...

I know hot to charge and push cells (here in Italy we say "pompare")...I tought that the "pushing process" was like the dischargingmetod used by Spintech Batman2 or similar cpu dischargers...
Something like "pulse discharging"...
I'm very sorry

Thanks anyway for your help

Best regards

Crim
Old 07-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Questions guys... Is it ok that my power supply contributes at a max 6 amps and it's output Voltage is 13.8V and input is 220V? My pitbull charger has the capacity of .15 to 7amperes, 12-15Volts but I only use 5 amperes for my packs. Will it destroy my packs or worse, the charger or the power supply? Please reply to my questions, anyone... It would really be appreciated..
Old 07-27-2006, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

No ne can help me???

Any help would be appreciated...
Old 07-30-2006, 06:09 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Back in the day, when only NiCd tech was available, there were many companies offering "pushed" cells. Essentially, pushing is the same as or similar to zapping. The cell is hit with a gigantic current, for a short burst. I've heard of 5000V zaps. The theory was to condition the chemicals, and break up any irregularities, making for better discharge performance.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ProudSavageOwnr
for mini 2/3a cells or RX packs the ideal charge rate is 1.5 but if ur pack is more high quality u can charge at 2
I would only charge my rx packs at .5, I accidently charged it at 1.5 once and it killed it.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Xanavi_R34
Questions guys... Is it ok that my power supply contributes at a max 6 amps and it's output Voltage is 13.8V and input is 220V? My pitbull charger has the capacity of .15 to 7amperes, 12-15Volts but I only use 5 amperes for my packs. Will it destroy my packs or worse, the charger or the power supply? Please reply to my questions, anyone... It would really be appreciated..
u and ur charger will be just right...

ne1 know if u can u push nimh 2/3a cells?

Last edited by ProudSavageOwnr; 07-30-2006 at 11:56 PM. Reason: stupidity
Old 08-08-2006, 06:59 AM
Tech Rookie

What is pushing cells?

Last edited by Tiberius; 11-08-2006 at 12:32 AM.