Community
Wiki Posts
Search

car runs then dies

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 10:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default car runs then dies

my engine dies after you start it ive changed the glow plug fuel lines and couldnt find any leaks in the tank it seems to do it when the pressure in the tank is gone
Old 01-17-2003, 06:38 AM
Tech Master

What car? What Engine?
Old 01-17-2003, 05:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Me too

I had that problem too. I have a CEN GX1 which used to run for a couple minutes and then stall. First check your mixture (you should be getting a lot of blue smoke out the muffler, especially if you haven't broken in the engine yet) You should be working with the high end needle, because that is the one which affects the mixture at all revs, the low end only affects low rev mixture. Turning the screw to the left richens the mixture and vice versa. If mixture doesn't help. You might have an airleak or a bad gas tank.
The first thing to check the tank, check this by running the car, and then covering the end of the muffler with a rag. If the engine doesn't imidiatly stall, its probably a primer leak. You can fix this by either geting rid of the primer all together and filling the hole with silicone, or by upgrading to a different gas tank. If the problem persists' then you probably have an air leak in the engine. An airleak causes the engine's mixture to change inconsistantly. Fix this by sealing the back plate with silicone or locktite, also seal the place where the carburator fits in the block, but first make sure that the glow plug is in tight enough.

good luck
Old 01-24-2003, 01:52 PM
Tech Adept

How about carb setting. Could it be that the low is too lean?
Old 01-24-2003, 11:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Try This

Do not start car..... Take filter out...... look at carb, turn on radio and the plug in the car (forgot what it called) just turn on all electronics
make sure when its on neutral, make sure its not closed (the carb) if it is, fix it by taking out your servo arm and readjust it.

and make sure if you brake, the carb slide doesnt close the carb totally, maybe 1-3 mm open.
Old 01-28-2003, 07:24 PM
Tech Chat Moderator

If your glow plug is good and you have no leaks, then tune it. Sounds broad but its the truth.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:09 PM
Tech Adept

Me three