good engine?

Old 10-30-2001, 03:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default good engine?

I just got into the R/C world when I bought my first nitro car about 2 weeks ago. I competed in a meet about a week ago and I found out that the stock configuration is not a winner. With this in mind I have been browsing looking for upgrades and I have decided that an engine is the first thing I want to replace. I am currently running a Nitro Star 15FE and it's not cuttin it. People have been telling me that RPM's make speed on these little cars, so is that the most important thing to look for when you are shopping for a new engine? If not then what other things make a good engine? I noticed that my engine doesn't rev as fast as the other R/C engine in my opponents cars, what about and engine would make it rev fast? I need someone to break it down for me if it can be done. I don't mean for someone to tell me what is the best engine to buy. I'm just looking for knowledge about the subject.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:00 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I personally suggest the OS CVR. It's definately not the highest powered engine, but it is up there. It is also easy to tune compared to most engines.
Old 10-30-2001, 05:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Re: good engine?

Originally posted by ArmyLifeSucks
I don't mean for someone to tell me what is the best engine to buy. I'm just looking for knowledge about the subject.
Old 10-30-2001, 12:00 PM
Tech Elite

Ummm well your Hpi .15 has single needle carb, you could get a twin needle carb and it would get out of the hole quicker. A single needle carb has one needle(the high end needle) it only sets the fuel/air mixture to work properly at higher speeds. A twin needle has a low speed mixture and the high end needle (as decribed above) The low end needle sets thefuel mixture so that like I said before can get out of the hole quicker. And then of course there is the idle needle to set the idle(you set it so that the car stands still but dosn't stall) second get a turn pipe to replace the plastic muffler it will give the engine more ooommfff and the engine will perform better. You could also get a better head for the engine so that it disipates heat better. You probably already know all this but you said give info so I'm trying to give general information. the engine you have isn't a high performance racing enginea nd will never rev as high as more more expensive ones like the picco .12 the mt12 and others. Hpi included the engine for beginners to be introduced to nitro and what you have it a pretty tough engine that will take newbie abuse but still perform ok. If you want more rpm's buy a new engine, if you just want some more speed buy a 2 speed. I've tryed to make this quite general, could you please make your Q a little more specific cause we need to know at least the jist of what you want to know, just nitro engines is to general.
Old 10-30-2001, 03:14 PM
Tech Rookie

OK, what is better, a slide carb or a rotory carb? Is more ports better for performance? What do you think about the Picco P15KSR, RovaRossi TX15P, and the Nitro Star 15SC R Evolution II? I have been looking on the web and these engines look good to me, but I don't know much about what makes a good engine. Tell me what you think.
Old 10-30-2001, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

from RCCA aug 2001 issue:

"a slide carb provides a smoother, more linear throttle response because the incoming air goes straight through the carb regardless of throttle setting.

the downside of a rotary carb is poor airflow through the carb at partial throttle settings. incoming air only gets a straight shot through the carb at full throttle; because of the carb's barrel valve, the incoming air has to "go round a corner" when the carb is set at partial throttle. this disturbance in airflow makes the transition to full throttle less smooth."

im not sure about the number of ports. i think that this depends on the application of the engine, whether onroad or offroad.