Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
nitro looses power >

nitro looses power

nitro looses power

Old 06-08-2006, 07:59 PM
Tech Rookie

Default nitro looses power

I have a nitro tc3, which is about 2yrs old. It looses a lot of power after about 2 minutes of run time. It is running rich. There is a good cloud of smoke coming from the exhaust pipe. If I richen it more it won't run.

Any ideas for solutions would be appreciated

Thanks Bob
Old 06-08-2006, 08:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Sounds like you might want to lean it out some. After you lean it out check the temp.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:05 AM
Tech Elite

lean it out 1/8 turn at a time till it wil run properly
Old 06-09-2006, 05:24 AM
Tech Regular

make sure your low end screw is flush and lean your you top 1/8 turn at a time. now if your bogging from stand still with FT open. lean you low end. if you press backwards for brakes and it stalls close you idle screw a little bit.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:25 AM
Tech Regular

make sure your low end screw is flush and lean your you top 1/8 turn at a time. now if your bogging from stand still with FT open. lean you low end. if you press backwards for brakes and it stalls close you idle screw a little bit. you want to have a little smoke coming from the exhaust like a nice thin trail....
Old 06-09-2006, 01:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

All good sugestions:

**NOTE** If your engine stalls when you grab brakes dont adjust your idle, fix your linkage so that neutral on your TX has the carb closed, if the linkage is off at neutral the carb wont be fully closed and when you grab brakes you close it. So if you tune the car at idle and at throttle then the thing stalls its because the idle is closing more then at neutral. Hope that makes sence. You never adjust idle if the car stalls under braking, idle should hold at neutral and through the full motion of the brake throw...

How is the compression? Sounds to me like your compression is low, as it starts and runs well for 2minutes? And then power drops? Its a case of the low compression loosing more as the engine heats up and the piston sleeve loose some of there tightness.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for all of the suggestions. How do I check the compression on the engine. I know the engine has seen a lot of use. I have always ran it just a little bit rich. I tried leaning out, but it didn't help. I didn't do much because the settings were pretty much on.

Thanks Bob
Old 06-09-2006, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

When you turn the flywheel with your thumb it should feel quite a bit of resistance. IF you remove the glow plug and turn it over and it feels the same as with the plug installed chances are the compression is gone.... An older engine will be easy to turn over but you should feel resistance at TDC(topdeadcenter).... Your LHS may have a compression guage they could test your engine with....

Either way 2 years old engine could use a new piston and sleeve.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:23 AM
Tech Elite

if u can pull the starter without the car lifting up then u got no compression