Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Need help with weird gear noise - Traxxas Rustler VXL 2wd >

Need help with weird gear noise - Traxxas Rustler VXL 2wd

Need help with weird gear noise - Traxxas Rustler VXL 2wd

Old 06-05-2024, 10:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help with weird gear noise - Traxxas Rustler VXL 2wd

Hello, just want to preface and say I am new to any type of forum and new to RC for the most part.
I got a Traxxas Rustler VXL 2wd for Christmas when I was a little kid and recently dug it out of the closet and decided to buy a new battery and install the aftermarket transmission box my dad and I bought when we first got the truck. Everything went well and I had a lot of fun taking apart and putting back together the transmission but now an odd sound seems to be coming from the pinion and spur gear. I have adjusted the pinion to multiple different distances and tried but no matter how close or far away from the spur gear it makes that noise when both are spinning. I wasn't able to find anything that helped me online. The car sounded perfectly fine before I changed the transmission and now it sounds almost like the gears are grinding or slipping or something. I will post a YouTube link so people can get a better idea of the noise and what might be wrong with it.

https://youtu.be/gNsDuWRu_gU?si=STJ_IkmIqrJj3Y9k

Thanks for the help! Really want to get this thing back on the road!
Old 06-06-2024, 04:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Watched the video, seems to be free and looks to run fine, could be just the metal housing transferring the sound differently ?? did you check bearings prior to installing in the new trans, and did they fit the new trans pockets well? ... was there room to use the teflon spacers where required at each bearing race?
Old 06-07-2024, 12:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Thanks for responding

Originally Posted by tomkatn
Watched the video, seems to be free and looks to run fine, could be just the metal housing transferring the sound differently ?? did you check bearings prior to installing in the new trans, and did they fit the new trans pockets well? ... was there room to use the teflon spacers where required at each bearing race?
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.
I would hope it is just the new trans sounds different, but when I first drove it with the new trans it sounded ok and then a minute later it started to sound worse. I didn't do too much with the bearings, just gave them a wipe down and they were actually pretty tight to fit in the new trans. Took a bit of effort getting a couple of them in. And yes I put all the spacers where I should have. If I fully seperate the pinion from the spur there isn't any noise so I hope that means it isn't the bearings or anything. I really have no idea. Might see if there's someone in my area who can take a look at it.
Old 06-07-2024, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamed
Hi, thanks for getting back to me.
I would hope it is just the new trans sounds different, but when I first drove it with the new trans it sounded ok and then a minute later it started to sound worse. I didn't do too much with the bearings, just gave them a wipe down and they were actually pretty tight to fit in the new trans. Took a bit of effort getting a couple of them in. And yes I put all the spacers where I should have. If I fully seperate the pinion from the spur there isn't any noise so I hope that means it isn't the bearings or anything. I really have no idea. Might see if there's someone in my area who can take a look at it.
If the pinion is disengaged from the spur, the trans is not moving, so you only have motor sound ... bearings may need lubrication, they should not be 'extremely tight' fit, also, check that the teflon spacers are not causing anything to bind, top shaft should have very slight end ply, some situations I can only run one spacer to accomplish this ... also, try loosening screws on side of trans case to add relief to the internals, see if that helps, diff case should be loose enough to not bind as well ... did you check reviews on the type of aftermarket trans case? there may be an issue that others have experienced as well.
Old 06-08-2024, 06:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

That sounds completely normal for a Traxxas transmission. They all have that distinct sound. Looks like you might have a little too much gap between your spur and pinion.
Old 06-11-2024, 09:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GerryH
That sounds completely normal for a Traxxas transmission. They all have that distinct sound. Looks like you might have a little too much gap between your spur and pinion.
So I brought it to a local shop and the guy said the same thing. Gave me a slightly bigger spur gear because this trans box wasn't letting me move the pinion far enough for some reason. New problem though just took it out for a drive and for whatever reason, I guess I didn't tighten it enough but the screw holding in the pinion came loose and rubbed up against my new spur gear, filing about a millimeter of the teeth down. Really debating on if I should have just kept the stock trans box at this point. Feel like it's been nothing but issues. Debating upgrading to a metal spur so if that screw comes loose again I won't have to worry about spending more money.
Old 06-15-2024, 06:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The plastic spur should be fine. I've been running the same ones for years and years. A metal spur with a metal pinion will make even more noise. Just make sure you put some/not a lot thread lock on the pinion set screw. Don't know if you still have the original silver motor mount screws. The newer ones from Traxxas, 4859, work a lot better.
Old 06-15-2024, 07:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GerryH
The plastic spur should be fine. I've been running the same ones for years and years. A metal spur with a metal pinion will make even more noise. Just make sure you put some/not a lot thread lock on the pinion set screw. Don't know if you still have the original silver motor mount screws. The newer ones from Traxxas, 4859, work a lot better.
Ok awesome, ya I still have the original screws so might pick up the newer ones. I think for the most part it's road ready. Have been test driving it a bit. Only thing now is it seems like the grease from the diff gear is leaking a bit. Probably gonna have to open it up again and clean it up. This has been a bit of a journey getting this rustler back on the road but I've had a lot of fun despite the adversity. Can't wait to get more and more into the hobby.
Old 06-24-2024, 01:34 AM
Tech Rookie

I'll take note.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Update

Hello,
So ya the Traxxas "silicone grease" I bought was definitely not the right stuff for the stock differential. Ended up cleaning it all out and putting in the only thing I had on hand which was RC grade white grease. Haven't got a single leak since I've put that in so I think I'm good to go. Mostly do speed runs and it's working fine. I ordered a sealed differential so if I ever want to go back to a more viscous grease or an oil I'll be good to go. Having a lot of fun with my rustler though. Been getting into suspension tuning and learning a lot. Thanks for all the help.

Jamed

Old 06-25-2024, 04:53 AM
Tech Rookie

With an understanding of your problem, it seems that the noise may be caused by an incorrect engagement between the pinion and spur gear in the transmission.