Can I complain for a minute? >

Can I complain for a minute?

Like Tree56Likes

Can I complain for a minute?

Old 11-25-2022, 10:22 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Can I complain for a minute?

I started racing rc cars back in the mid-to-late 90s with my first car being the RC10T2 and my second being the RC10T3. I was in my early teens, unemployed and had trouble meeting the minimum requirements to even race much less compete in off-road racing. I would get money for mowing the lawn etc but not a lot from my lower-middle class family. For example, I might have to wait 6 months to ask for a second battery for Christmas or 12 months until my bday for a competitive motor or esc etc. RC car racing was expensive back then. I stopped racing once I started playing football as that took up all my spare time.

Fast forward to 2014 and I'm out of college with a great job and some spending money. One thing I noticed was that everyone raced 1/8 scale now. 1/8 ebuggies didn't even exist when I was kid. The track said ebuggy was the most popular class and I wanted to run something I'd always get a chance to race so I pulled the trigger on a RC8.2e. I've always been an AE diehard.

First thing I noticed about the new kit was it didn't come with tires. Every kit I ever purchased came with tires. Strange. I then noticed that it was eating through tires quickly. These buggies were heavy and fast....and the tires were freaking expensive. I would see myself running through a $40 set of tires in one day. The electronics were vastly superior though. I was so glad we didn't have to use brushed motors anymore; then you'd have to buy brushes, a lathe, motor oil etc. The old timers know this. However, because everyone ran 1/8 scale, everything was 30% more expensive than 1/10? Oh well. Cost of racing. So, the kit is 30% more, the electronics are too, and the upkeep of the tires was incredible. I wound up taking a job in another city and stopped rc car racing until now as I've finished my full-scale car build.

Now it's 2022. What does the closest track run? Frickin 1/8 scale. OK, cool. Let's order up the latest AE buggy that just came out. I'm not going to win any races so I might as well run what I've always loved to run and have fun. Hmm, the kit is $670.....thats $207 more than rc8.2 factory team in 2014..........THAT'S INFLATION ADJUSTED BTW. In 2014, my kit costed $385, which is $468 today and that's with FT options included. OK, let's check out what I would I need to run it. NO WHEELS in the kit. NO SHOCK FLUID. NO DIFF FLUID. Unbelievable, So If I wanted a "roller" kit, I'd need to drop at least another $40 on stuff that already came with the rc8.2e in 2014. So, in the end, my AE kit would cost $721 to get almost the same value as the rc8.2e which was $468 in today's dollars. Thats a 54% increase in today's dollars for literally nothing gained. Damn, let's see what springs and such I need for tuning. Let's order up a front and back spring kit.....oh wait, they don't sell kits of 5 spring weights for $16 anymore. They sell individual springs of one weight for $10 a piece. So, what used to be $16 is now $50 with nothing gained. Same with swaybars.

As I've been reorientating myself to hobby I would come across the latest engine, motor, or buggy. Guess what main selling point was for everything? The same crap it was back in 95. Buy the latest engine because it has an extra cooling fin. Buy the latest motor because it has an extra cooling fin..oh and we used a new alloy to save 0.5g. The kits? We widened the car last edition, now we're narrowing it for better blahblahblah. Next edition we're widening it for better stability blahblahblah. Bigger shocks last edition, smaller shocks now, bigger shocks in 2024 etc.

I guess I'll end it with this. I'm fortunate to have a good job and I'll give this all another shot, but it leaves me disappointed already and my stuff hasn't even arrived. It sucks that society always has to be this way. It's no wonder the sport doesn't grow or that people don't buy from the local hobby shop to save money. It's hard to drop all that money on toy cars when you're getting fire sale deals online and in the used market and it's still in the $1000s just for entry into toy car racing.

Anyways, let me know what you think and if you agree or disagree.

EDIT: I have received my kit and IT DID HAVE SHOCK AND DIFF FLUID despite the website saying I needed those to complete it. Thank you.**************************

Last edited by Feyd Rautha; 11-28-2022 at 09:18 AM.
Old 11-25-2022, 11:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Agreed.
Old 11-25-2022, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

You do realize you're not required to buy the latest model of everything, right? Most of my RCs were "vintage" before I even bought them. Who cares if the new version has a chassis 1mm wider for better stability or whatever marketing nonsense they've come up with this year? You can make most of the necessary changes yourself with chassis weights and occasionally drilling a new hole where needed. The phenomenon you're complaining about exists to appeal to people who like replacing their stuff because it makes them feel good. You don't have to.

If you're racing, I guess you're kinda screwed in that respect, though. You pretty much have to keep up with the Joneses when you're racing.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Dude, you said a minute!

Well first off any kit that came with tires the first thing anyone did with them was trash them. Kit tires were almost always junk, and everyone had their favorites. Same for fluids. Everyone has a setup and what comes in the kit is not what you want to use. And remember keeping those things out reduces the price.

Is RC racing expensive? Yes. Is any competitive hobby expensive? Yes. That unfortunately is where we are. I do understand you complaints though. It can be a drain knowing you have to buy tires every race day. You have to weigh how much you're spending versus how much fun you're having.
Old 11-25-2022, 03:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

TL;DR
Old 11-25-2022, 04:23 PM
Tech Champion

$69.99 for 1/18 aluminum links is pretty cringe

Old 11-25-2022, 05:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Dude, you said a minute!

Well first off any kit that came with tires the first thing anyone did with them was trash them. Kit tires were almost always junk, and everyone had their favorites. Same for fluids. Everyone has a setup and what comes in the kit is not what you want to use. And remember keeping those things out reduces the price.

Is RC racing expensive? Yes. Is any competitive hobby expensive? Yes. That unfortunately is where we are. I do understand you complaints though. It can be a drain knowing you have to buy tires every race day. You have to weigh how much you're spending versus how much fun you're having.
Pretty sure my T3 came with bow ties which was exactly what everyone at the track was running. If keeping all of those items out of the kit is supposed to keep the price down then how is the price up 55% over 8 years when adjusting for inflation? Perhaps the price would have been 60% higher with those items? I guess itís hard to say. To me, itís just a flat-out price increase. Iím guessing the RC8B5 wont come with a body because ďnobody used itĒ except the kit will be $979 inflation-adjusted.

Last edited by Feyd Rautha; 11-25-2022 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2022, 06:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Feyd Rautha View Post
Pretty sure my T3 came with bow ties which was exactly what everyone at the track was running. If keeping all of those items out of the kit is supposed to keep the price down then how is the price up 55% over 8 years when adjusting for inflation? Perhaps the price would have been 60% higher with those items? I guess itís hard to say. To me, itís just a flat-out price increase. Iím guessing the RC8B5 wont come with a body because ďnobody used itĒ except the kit will be $979 inflation-adjusted.
You have to understand a little about manufacturing. The price of materials used in the kits go up, the price of equipment goes up, the wages go up, and that's just a small example. Its easy to blame everything on inflation. If you're going to complain about $40 set of tires in one day don't ever try 1/8th IC On road...
jiml, DRTMI and hunterdawg like this.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nitrodude View Post
You have to understand a little about manufacturing. The price of materials used in the kits go up, the price of equipment goes up, the wages go up, and that's just a small example. Its easy to blame everything on inflation. If you're going to complain about $40 set of tires in one day don't ever try 1/8th IC On road...
what youíre describing is literally inflation. In the same time period, the price of the Ford F-150 went up anywhere between 9 and 21% inflation-adjusted. I recall Ford 150s needing to be manufactured. The manufacturing of toy cars increased 2.5-5x a 5000lb vehicle? It just doesnít make sense.
nitrous36 and Raguvian like this.
Old 11-25-2022, 07:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
$69.99 for 1/18 aluminum links is pretty cringe
I'm just going to wait for Injora to release stuff. Did you see they already have the brass diff covers for the TRX4M? $20 for both, which isn't bad at all.
Old 11-25-2022, 08:04 PM
Tech Champion

Injora looks to be fast with the trx4 aftermarket parts
Old 11-25-2022, 08:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

One argument in favor of the manufactures is that plastic resin has gone up 30% since 2014.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 11-26-2022, 02:12 AM
Tech Lord

Even with all the attempts to get racing affordable with stock classes and limited hop-ups most RC brands find a way to empty your pockets by promoting all kind of "needed" tools. Setup tools, weight scales, a 2 dollar tire profile depth meter sold as a 70 dollar clutch meter, even now 10 dollar pressure meters sold as 80 dollar compression meters and the list is endless. Even 2 dollar chinese pliers are sold for 40 dollar because some brand laser engraved his name on it.

Also like now from a Noodle brand teamdrivers promote that you have to buy all 2 optional chassis plates, all 5 shock towers and all other for most racers useless options to deal with any track situation.

And the problem is that more and more drivers do follow their hero's w/o thinking if they really do need it.
petersen114 likes this.
Old 11-26-2022, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Some things I would like to add to all this is that the RC vehicles of today are quite a bit more advanced and technical today compared to back then which requires more work in the design process. Plastics are more forgiving, materials like carbon fiber and aluminum are now standard rather than an option etc, etc. Most of these ďhop upsĒ arenít needed imo unless they provide a usefulness eg, carbon towers will flex more than aluminum adding traction and titanium turnbuckles are a bud help. I have no problem with no tires and foams not being included in a kit as others mentioned but I do believe that a body and greaseís/ oils should. Also Iím sure that the price is influenced by pro drivers on the companyís payroll.
jiml likes this.
Old 11-26-2022, 07:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Welcome back to the hobby!

You have lots of valid points, but the most expensive part of the hobby is tires. Based on your location I gather you'll be racing at Thornhill today? If so, be sure to check out the free tire table where many team drivers will leave practically new tires on the table with only 2-3 runs on them! They are chasing a tenth of second and choose to pay top dollar to get that extra speed from a fresh set of tires where the Sportsman drivers can get 6+ club race days on a set of free table tires when they water the track

Also note that Thornhill has been promoting 1/10 turf racing as well so there are people who still want to run those classes, I prefer 1/10 but have been forced to run 1/8 as well due to popularity. All we need is 5 drivers to show up for turf and they will mix them in with the 1/8 program for regular club race days.

See you at the track!

petersen114 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.