Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
comm REPLACING service??? >

comm REPLACING service???

comm REPLACING service???

Old 04-17-2006, 01:17 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default comm REPLACING service???

i need some extra money, and in my other thread, i replaced an entire comm, with a new one. i am thinking, of having a comm replacement service. i have perfected the art of it, while keeping timing the same. i have succesfully replaced comms on all my motors, and now they work great. now, here is the big question...

Would you pay 6$ plus shipping to get a comm replaced on a motor?

you could use this service to bring some old/used armatures back to life. if you think about it, it would be about 5$ shipping, +6 for service, and the return shipping for 5$ 16 dollors for one armature? that could be used to replace an entire armature, BUT if you have accumilated like, 5 armatures, heres how it would go. 10 shipping to me, 30$ service, 10 shipping to you. that is 50$, or 75 $ for new ones. compare; 50 service, or 75 new. i replace old comms with new ones, so they are fine.

again, this is an idea, and i am open to all suggestions, good or bad.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

any suggestions? please? i need comments!
Old 04-18-2006, 09:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

If you could prove to us you can do this and they preform just as new then I bet lots of ppl would be interested.Try some before and after pictures and some more details(Im sure you dont wanna give up your secret ), but any details would help
Steve
Also USPS first class shipping for smaller items, is under a buck.Save yourself and everyone else some $ by using it.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

i wasnt sure on postage prices, but 5$ is a very safe guess. i guess i will have to get a worn armature, to replace the comm (i replaced all my arms. with neww comms). so, if pictures were there to show a replaced comm, and you were convinced, would you use my service? they work just as fine or better than with the old comm. thank you for replying, and keep the comments comming! LOL i think i will have this service available! if you want you can pm me comments, or requests!

i will get pictures as soon as i can, if i find a worn comm... lol!
Old 04-21-2006, 01:48 AM
Tech Addict

I would rather have a whole new arm.....
Old 04-21-2006, 03:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by That0neguy
I would rather have a whole new arm.....

a new arm is understandable, but you pay about, 15$ for a new armature. or about 2$shipping + 6$ service to get it a new comm with me. thats 8$, but when it comes to time, you may just shell out the extra 7$. OH! you could get 2 armatures fixed for under the price of one! but, i may not have this service, i may be too busy soon, but ill see. pictures are on the way!
Old 04-21-2006, 05:24 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Johnathan
a new arm is understandable, but you pay about, 15$ for a new armature. or about 2$shipping + 6$ service to get it a new comm with me. thats 8$, but when it comes to time, you may just shell out the extra 7$. OH! you could get 2 armatures fixed for under the price of one! but, i may not have this service, i may be too busy soon, but ill see. pictures are on the way!
FYI the only arms that are $15 and Stockers and some 19t but most competition Mod motors like D6, revolution, and checkpoint have mod Arms going for $30-$40.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stevietd14
FYI the only arms that are $15 and Stockers and some 19t but most competition Mod motors like D6, revolution, and checkpoint have mod Arms going for $30-$40.
oh! the more money you save! have a worn comm on a 30$ arm replaced for 8-10$! use the 20 on, like, brushes, or somethin!

though, i dont think you would want to give me the most expensive arm to replace the comm on, cause it might not be legal or somethin like that.
Old 04-21-2006, 06:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

ive got a picture of After, but not before. it is a new comm, but i used it a little, to see if it worked!
Attached Thumbnails comm REPLACING service???-dscf1878.jpg  
Old 04-21-2006, 07:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

The way i understand it is that you take an old comm off the stack and put it back on the arm you want to save. I assume you silver solder the tabs and epoxy wrap the winding to keep them from pulling away where you had loosened them slightly.
Are you doing this to sagami, epic and reedy arms? You may get the motor to work but it is no longer balanced and timing it will be difficult.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by schmelme
The way i understand it is that you take an old comm off the stack and put it back on the arm you want to save. I assume you silver solder the tabs and epoxy wrap the winding to keep them from pulling away where you had loosened them slightly.
Are you doing this to sagami, epic and reedy arms? You may get the motor to work but it is no longer balanced and timing it will be difficult.
i have done this to an epic motor, but not the other 2, but they are similar, right? i try very hard to move the wire as little as possible, but i have to to get the worn comm off. balance is not effected much, as i dont move the wires much. i now put a dot of fine sharpie on the shaft and comm to keep timing the same, and then i use epoxy to glue the comm back on.

when i test the arms, with new comms, they work as well, or better than it was with the worn comm. this procedure gives the comms a second life, but it does not ensure that it will be fit for extreme racing, as performance is affected very slightly.

it would be like, an athlete getting surgery. lets say he wears a knee out (like a worn comm) and he gets a metal joint thing inserted(replaced comm). he now has a second chance as an athlete, but he will never run as fast, but compared to what would have been, it is a new life.