Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
What first car. >

What first car.

What first car.

Old 04-14-2006, 07:34 AM
Tech Initiate

Default What first car.

Hello, I'm 15 yearsold and was wondering what good electric car to start with(on-road). I was looking at the kyosho alpha 3 EP series... what do you guys think? I'm also planning on drifting.
Old 04-14-2006, 08:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i would suggest a 4-tec, by traxxas. go to traxxas.com to see thier cars. they are quite durrable in the hands of a beginner. of course, you can buy other motors to make it really fast, so you wont be too bored. when you understand how the car works, and can drive decently, THEN get an expensive, great quality/light car that will go even faster, or be "drift" cabable.

traxxas is a great trainer.

good luck!
Old 04-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

tc3's are still VERY good cars for what your talking about, and they just came out with the tc4 rtr a little while ago it comes with everything you need to run except battery and charger ...im sure you can pick a tc3 up for pretty cheap use, and the tc4 rtr is 200 at my local hobby shop
Old 04-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

do the rally conversion for the tc3 and then drift in the dirt, its more fun.... plus if your driving on an unprepped lot then the higher ride height and softer suspension will give you more grip....
Old 04-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

I race PaLo tracks and the TC3 seems plenty planted without the extra rideheight. I just run it with a bit more ride height than usual and run a bit more uptravel.

The TC3 is a great car with plenty of potential. Some upgrades to think about over the RTR version would be the Factory Team aluminum shocks, some Factory Team turnbuckles, and some aluminum outdrives and CVD's. You get that car with those upgrades and trust me, you're all set for a good long time.

The only complaint you might have is diff rebuilds. The differentials in that car can be daunting when it's time for a rebuild, but every hobbyist has got to learn sometime!
Old 04-16-2006, 09:09 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go used, it'll save you money in the long run. XXX-S, TC3, maybe some of the Tamiya cars. Hit up the used car section and check user feedback. Also check out what your local hobby shop sells for parts, it sucks to be in a race, have your ride break and be done cause you can't fix it.