Originally Posted by DirkW View Post
Remember: don't feed trolls.
Not sure who the troll is..
Old 05-16-2022, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lazerlyte View Post
Not sure who the troll is..
It's not skater-deez1, Sir 51D3WAYS, or DirkW.
Old 05-16-2022, 04:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mrreet2001 View Post
It's not skater-deez1, Sir 51D3WAYS, or DirkW.
Must be rc guy then lol
Old 05-19-2022, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

In R/C vehicles with limited gearing options, you can reduce the "potential" maximum speed by 4 basic methods...

1 - use a smaller pinion gear
2 - use a larger spur gear (not always on option on micro scale vehicles)
3 - limit the maximum throttle range at the transmitter (setup the ESC to go 100%, then program the transmitter to only use 75% throttle for example)
4 - use a motor with less maximum RPM

Some electronic speed controls (ESC) offer a "5th" option such as the "Training Mode" in the Traxxas XL-5 brushed speed control. The Traxxas Training mode (when active) reduces the throttle power to 50% (of maximum full throttle in forward or reverse). Training mode can be useful if you are using a basic transmitter that doesn't allow for easy adjustments of the throttle endpoint. Since this adjustments is enabled in the speed control, you can continue to use the full range of the trigger.

There are other ways that you can mechanically restrict the throttle trigger AFTER programming a speed control. You can use a piece of foam or tape between the throttle trigger and the body of the transmitter (or trigger guard) which can restrict throttle movement. Some transmitters also have set screws built into them that can restrict this movement but normally they are designed to affect the trigger movement for braking.

Regardless of the method you use to "slow down" your vehicle, it is always a good idea to monitor the temperature of the electronics. If the motor, speed control, or battery (or all 3) are getting too hot, you may need to adjust your method. Since I am not expert here, I would suggest you do your own research on the effects of under and over-gearing r/c brushless motors. As usual on these type of subjects, you might find some conflicting info but should be able to find a general consensus. However a good starting point on gearing is always manufacturers recommendations. I have found that if you contact most manufacturers of R/C vehicles that they will at least provide good basic advice. However if you are running aftermarket motors, I would suggest contacting that company as well.

Hope this information helps.
Old 05-20-2022, 02:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by IndyRC_Racer View Post
In R/C vehicles with limited gearing options, you can reduce the "potential" maximum speed by 4 basic methods...

1 - use a smaller pinion gear
2 - use a larger spur gear (not always on option on micro scale vehicles)
3 - limit the maximum throttle range at the transmitter (setup the ESC to go 100%, then program the transmitter to only use 75% throttle for example)
4 - use a motor with less maximum RPM

Some electronic speed controls (ESC) offer a "5th" option such as the "Training Mode" in the Traxxas XL-5 brushed speed control. The Traxxas Training mode (when active) reduces the throttle power to 50% (of maximum full throttle in forward or reverse). Training mode can be useful if you are using a basic transmitter that doesn't allow for easy adjustments of the throttle endpoint. Since this adjustments is enabled in the speed control, you can continue to use the full range of the trigger.

There are other ways that you can mechanically restrict the throttle trigger AFTER programming a speed control. You can use a piece of foam or tape between the throttle trigger and the body of the transmitter (or trigger guard) which can restrict throttle movement. Some transmitters also have set screws built into them that can restrict this movement but normally they are designed to affect the trigger movement for braking.

Regardless of the method you use to "slow down" your vehicle, it is always a good idea to monitor the temperature of the electronics. If the motor, speed control, or battery (or all 3) are getting too hot, you may need to adjust your method. Since I am not expert here, I would suggest you do your own research on the effects of under and over-gearing r/c brushless motors. As usual on these type of subjects, you might find some conflicting info but should be able to find a general consensus. However a good starting point on gearing is always manufacturers recommendations. I have found that if you contact most manufacturers of R/C vehicles that they will at least provide good basic advice. However if you are running aftermarket motors, I would suggest contacting that company as well.

Hope this information helps.
Thanks for the informative post. That really helped me. I have ordered a 27T pinion gear which should help slow it down, also I will limit the maximum throttle range. We'll see how things goes and I'll take onboard the temps. If too high, might have to consider getting a 3500kv motor and up the pinion slightly as I haven't seen any changes to the spur gear available. Thanks again, appreciated.
Old 05-20-2022, 03:43 PM
Tech Elite

just a joke. whatever ..topspeed in the house yes