Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Drift help

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2022, 01:29 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Drift help

So I got a MST FXX, front motor,rear drive.
60 amp quikrun,10.5 hobby wing. 19pinion 28 trans spur.
put it together via book.
Im on carpet,,,tight industrial carpet,came with the building we rent,we race on it,SCT,4x4,buggies ect....
Tires on it are the ones that came with...I cant get any traction< i know thats not the point of drift,but i cant get it to go in straight line,spins out.
Go small throttle slow can pick up a little speed,just instant tire spin..
And when I turn it just spins out..does GREAT DONUGHTS!
Help please...

Old 03-03-2022, 04:24 PM
Tech Elite

theres alot of carpet tires from mini pins go to proline and select your size and buy some
Old 03-03-2022, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

Pro-Line Racing 1/10 Prism 2.0 Z3 Rear 2.2" Buggy Trs Mntd 12mm Wht Velocity (2) | Pro-Line (prolineracing.com)
Old 03-03-2022, 05:21 PM
Tech Initiate

I dont need that much traction.
I dont need buggy wheels,I got a buggies,6.3d and 410.2.,,,,,I would most likely tear the transmission up
Needed is a experienced RC drift persons advice.
Looks as If it IS a tire issue,like SCT and buggy tires,drift have the same going,
seems as if It came with hard concrete tires ,and I need carpet,,so???

Last edited by RabidDog; 03-03-2022 at 06:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2022, 01:06 PM
Tech Rookie

Maybe run as little sandpaper over them?
Old 03-17-2022, 02:51 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

RWD drift requires the use a gyro. Otherwise then just want to spin.
Old 03-18-2022, 09:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I reached out to a friend who is part of a group of people who drift with RWD vehicles. Locally they are drifting on a CRC black indoor carpet track.Here are some things he mentioned...

- Some MST kits come with silver dot tires which are a good "middle" tire. I assume he means this is the middle of their range of grip.
- The MST carpet tires are white dots on the rear and orange dots on the front.
- A car with no forward bite/just does donuts can be caused by gyro settings and too hard front tire.

Here is a link for MST tires. If you click on any of the drift tires, it should show you the different "dot" compounds of tires and suggested usage of each "dot". I would suggest reaching out to MST and they might be able to give advice on a good compound of tire to use for your application.

https://www.rc-mst.com/product_other...3&class_sn2=58

-----------

Assuming you have a decent set of tires on your car, it is always a good idea to make sure everything is mechanically sound. Check for binding in the suspension such as a-arms and dampers (shocks). Make sure any differential(s) in the car is operating properly. Make sure the body or chassis isn't dragging on the racing surface. Basically go through your vehicle and make sure everything is mechanically sound/adjusted properly. If you have adjusted the settings of the chassis to fix the issue, return the car back to stock settings to see if a change you made is causing an issue. Also limit how many changes you do at a time (and take notes along the way). A simple change such as removing a tire could cause you to lose a pin on the hex adapter which might cause a wheel to not turn properly. If you take notes of each setting change/effect, then it is easier to troubleshoot any problems.

Hope this info helps.

Old 04-04-2022, 12:10 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by RabidDog
So I got a MST FXX, front motor,rear drive.
60 amp quikrun,10.5 hobby wing. 19pinion 28 trans spur.
put it together via book.
Im on carpet,,,tight industrial carpet,came with the building we rent,we race on it,SCT,4x4,buggies ect....
Tires on it are the ones that came with...I cant get any traction< i know thats not the point of drift,but i cant get it to go in straight line,spins out.
Go small throttle slow can pick up a little speed,just instant tire spin..
And when I turn it just spins out..does GREAT DONUGHTS!
Help please...
Is the rear diff locked? My 3Racing kit told me til fill with 50k fluid to basically lock it up.

I've been learning to RWD drift with a gyro... best lesson I've learned is to use very small steering inputs. The gyro provides the countersteer to start the drift and then you can control the drift with throttle and additional small steering inputs.
Old 05-31-2022, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Not sure if you figured this out already... but I'll give my input.
your motor is way too fast for a rwd. Rwd is not about speed, low throttle imput is needed, so a slower like 17.5 or 21.5 will be better of the bat. I run 17.5 in my rwd.
motor should be run sensored, or low speed response isn't good.
rwd needs gyro to work.
tires are probably not right for the surface.