R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone

Old 04-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default A few newbie questions

I want to get started in R/C. i got a couple of free issues of radio control car action and found a lot of cool things in there. i have some knowledge of some things. but i do have a few questions first, i see that a lot of electric RTR come with like a 20 or 18 or 17 turn motor, how do these work with speed(is lower or higher good?) second, i see that there are some companies that have a brushless motor, what are these and how do they differ from a regualr motor in a RTR? thirdly, i have decided that i want to get some kind of a factory kit for a mini buggy or truck, what kind of hop-ups can u out on these, more specifically shocks? i guess the thing that i dont see in the 1/18 is the threaded shocks to adjust the springs. i was also wondering what would make a good starter 1/18 buggy or truck? i would like it to be a factory kit so i can make the decisions on what to put in it. and one more how fast(MPH) does, lets say a 4.5T motor go? thanks for the help and sorry for all the questions.

Pete
bigpete1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 09:43 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Got Xray?
Default questions

1.What relation does turns have to do with speed?
A.The lower the turn the faster the motor will go,but it will also drain more battery,get hotter and wear out quicker(mainly the comm)

2.What is a brushless motor?
A.A brushless motor is basically the opposite of a brushed motor IE.A brushed motor has the magnets in the can and the windings on the armaure and a brushless motor has the magnets on the armature and the windings on the can,eliminating the high maintanence of a brushed motor(cutting the comm every 1-2 runs).

3.How many MPH would a 4.5t motor go?
A.A 4.5 turn motor hey,im not sure if they exist in brushed form but novak has just released a 4.5t brushless,and you cant really say the speed,professional rc racing is very complicated and the speed witll rely on a lot of factors including: bodies,ride hight,rollout,gear ratio etc but i have a novak 5.5t brushless in my xray evo2 and we have clocked it with a speed gun at 92km/ph or about 50mph and that was with a dodge stratus body and an xray evo2(not exactly the latest and greatest ) with a wedge body(very aerodynamic) and a newer car such as the xray T2 or HB cyclone you could get a 5.5t to 100 +kmh or 60+ mph.

I hope this answers your questions mate and dont hesitate to pm me or put more questions on this thread if you have any more querys.

Thanks,
Nick
Old 04-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Default Your other q

Sorry, i didnt answer your other question:

Q4: What would be a good starter 1/18 buggy or truck?
I would go the kyosho MINI inferno,losi mini T or xray m18. they are all very good quality and will provide hours of fun.
And the mini t and mini inferno come rtr just add batteries.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:54 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would go with a FT RC18B or FT RC18T
Old 04-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

thanks for the help. you say that professional rc racing is complicated, does that mean that i should stay away from the brushless stuff??? i would like to get a factory kit or maybe a RTR. it would be used mostly for back yard bashing and some racing with friends. my friends want to spend a lot of money on the new traxxas 3.3 cars and trucks but i want to show them that electric can be just as fast and fun. out of the minis that you thought might make a good one, which one would you pick??? in rc car action the mini inferno only went a little over 13 mph. i want something faster than that. is it possible to put adjustable shocks on a mini?? the ones i have been seeing just dont seem to have those. thanks for the help again.

Pete
Old 04-11-2006, 06:46 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

If you looking into a 18th scale. The rc18t rtr is a great truck. If you want to be fast just add a Mamba-25 and CM-2080 Competition X Motor (8000Kv) with lipo pack and that this will be scary fast. The web site for info on mini brushless is here. http://www.castlecreations.com/products/mamba.html here is a good web site with info on the mamba also. http://www.one18th.com/ShowReview154.htm

Hope this helps.
pvtysux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #7
Tech Rookie

thanks for the help. i was wondering how the mamba that you suggested would work in a mini inferno??? in the mini inferno would it be that big of a deal to find a separate receiever and speedo??? with the mamba competition x, what is the thing that isnt the motor, is that the speedo??? also, with getting this mamba combo, is there anything else that i would need to upgrade for any mini, that would help accomodate the new power of the motor and the lipo cells??? thanks for the help and sorry for all the newbish questions.

Pete
Old 04-12-2006, 05:22 AM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Default qa

the mamba brushless he mentioned is a system so it comes with a motor and spped controller(esc or speedy).
Then you will just have to find a small reciever (there are lots out there) and you can get adjsustable shocks on the minis.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:41 AM   #9
Tech Rookie

the adjustable shocks, can those be ones that would be bought for a bigger scale car??? or are there certain ones that i would have to look for??? also, if i were to get the mamba kit, would i need to get a new steering servo???? also could someone please explain the different oil weights used in differentials and shocks??? also, what is camber, toe-in and how do making adjustments either negative or positive help with car performance. thanks again for all the help.

Pete
Old 04-16-2006, 02:54 AM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Default qs

1. Changing your servo once you installed the brushless system wouldnt be neciscary but it would probably be a good idea as the standard servo would not perform very good turning at the high speeds the mamba produces.

2.Yeh i think you can use the shocks off normal 1:10 rc cars for most 1:18 scale,but the mini inferno has good shocks.

3.Camber,toe in,toe out,ackerman...
I drew up a rough draft of these things on a car,its in the attachments

Also,you want about 2 degrees of + camber on front and back and about 2 degrees of toe in at the back only,but this is for 1:10 onroad tc