Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Suggestions for an 1/8th scale buggy RTR or otherwise

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 11:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Suggestions for an 1/8th scale buggy RTR or otherwise

I am fairly new to this hobby and own one car, a Losi stadium truck. However, I have decided to get another car and would like an 1/8 scale buggy. I don't have any experience with them other than what I have seen at the track. I am most likely going with an RTR, and this car will be used for racing, but I have a tendency to drive rough and break things. Since it will probably be an RTR, price really isn't a factor. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Also, please provide some reasons for your suggestions, saying "buy such and such car" with no explanation is no help to me.

Thanks,
Cody
Old 04-09-2006, 08:31 AM
Tech Adept

you may want to look into an ofna or gs racing buggy. ofna has a few very durable buggies such as the Hyper 7 RTR (with .21 engine), Ultra LX Comp RTR, and 9.5 KP Violator RTR. the Ultra LX Comp and 9.5 KP Violator RTR's both have very powerful .26 engines. they both also have ofna's shaft start system for quick and easy starting. the GS Racing Storm buggy is a very fast buggy. probably not as durable as the ofna buggies. my freind has a gs racing Shadow St1 4wd and he's constantly breaking parts on it. now this isnt a 1/8 buggy, but parts durability is often similar on different models that a company makes.

oh yeah, another great buggy is the Kyosho Inferno MP777. this buggy isn't an RTR, but is a fairly serious race buggy. with proper tuning, this buggy can dominate at any track. the only doubt i have is the durability. i've heard quite a few people around these forums talk about how kyosho products are very low quality. i've never owned one, so im not sure.

watever you choose to get, have fun!!

here's some links to some different sites:
http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products...y/index-e.html http://www.ofna.com/kits.html http://www.gsracing.com/web/page.asp
Old 04-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Tech Initiate

I highly suggest against the ultra lx comp, I have one and it is nothing but problem after problem for me, and the force 26 engine is weak for it's size, and can't take a beating at all, you'll throw the rod if it overheats it happened to me the first time it over heated after 4 tanks. I would suugest the other buggy's that are listed up top, I have heard and read nothing but good things about them. If you want to get heavy into racing I would suggest a pro-spec kit, the MBX-5 pro spec kit is damn nice, very tight takes a beating, and parts are pretty easy to get. The difference between a pro spec and a rtr is prospec does not come with engine, or electronics, but they are much higher qaulity, you get all of the optional parts with them.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Don't want to get way into this so all I will say is Jammin X1CR.

Cheap and stable like a tank.
Old 04-16-2006, 01:31 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Jammin'Trey
Don't want to get way into this so all I will say is Jammin X1CR.

Cheap and stable like a tank.
I would get either the jammin rtr, which is nice and is very popular, or maybe a mayhem rtr. You want something that you can get parts for fairly easily. I pesonally have a jammin rtr crt(truggy). This thing is sweet, and the stock engine has plenty of power. The radio that comes with it is junk(most rtr radios are junk), and also the stock servo attached to the steering was crap as well... otherwise its a nice truggy. I think the buggy comes with the same radio and servos. If you do buy a jammin, get the zbrace and aluminum center braces, and if you get a monomount for the engine, which also helps to stiffen the chassis(this is a popular upgrade) you will need a starter box because the rotostarter that comes with the rtr wont work.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJDB5&P=0