Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By GerryH
  • 1 Post By IndyRC_Racer

Old ESC vesus New

Old 01-17-2022, 12:49 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Old ESC vesus New

I have a couple very old Novak GTB ESC's. At a novice skill level, what would be I getting by upgrading from these old ESC's to say a Hobbywing XR10? Would there be any noticeable difference to me?

I'm using one of them now in my TA05 with a 17.5 motor and it seems to work fine. Wondering what if anything I'd get by purchasing a newer ESC.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:19 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I still run an old Novak on an SC10 that's pulled out once a year for a dirt charity race. I'd say the big advantage of moving to a newer ESC is ease of programming. Even if you still use the transmitter programming option, I never liked the wait for this combination of colored LEDs. Other brands it's 1 flash for option 1, 2 flashes for option 2, etc. Much easier to know when you're on the right setting.

The newer XR10s have battery reverse polarity protection, so if you accidentally plug your battery in backwards, it won't immediately destroy your ESC.

Hobbywing has a nice trade in program, where if you were interested, you could trade in your GTB and get something like the XR10 Justock G3 for probably something like $40 shipped. It's normally $60.
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/page...ade-in-program

O.G.R.C. likes this.
Old 01-17-2022, 04:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks, appreciate the response!
Old 01-18-2022, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If your not racing, then there is no reason to get a new one. The new ones just offer more adjustability.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Short answer - a very old GTB should be fine to use with a 17.5 motor. Using a well setup car and practicing good racing lines is always more important for a novice than upgrading electronics (unless they are damaged/defective).

----------

Longer answer.

Novak produced several ESCs in the GTB line of products, such as the GTB, GTB 2, GTB 3, 4-cell GTB (there may be others I'm missing). This line of products was designed to be raced. The original/early models of GTB had no motor limit (Novak 3.5 motors and above), could be used with brushed AND sensored brushless motors, were designed to use NiCad/Nihm batteries, and had NO LIPO LOW-VOLTAGE CUT OFF. Later models of the GTB did have a low-voltage lipo cutoff. I have owned both versions of the GTB with & without Lipo cut off. They look pretty much the same. I still own an original GTB without Lipo and recently raced it in VTA with a 25.5 motor. Even when racing an 8 min main, I am not reaching any potential dangerously low lipo voltage. You can purchase a low-voltage cut-off if you are using a speed control without this feature.

I don't recall off the top of my head what the programming differences between the two were, but the light flashes/sequence was obviously different between the two. I believe the original GTB has fewer programming options/choices vs the newer one with lipo cut-off. Also I believe that both versions had different model numbers on (or in them), but I am not sure of that either.

I am only posting this information since you mentioned that you have some very old Novak GTB speed controls. If you are running a lipo battery I didn't want you to risk damaging it if you had the original GTB.
O.G.R.C. likes this.