Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Gearing & Motor Wear questions >

Gearing & Motor Wear questions

Gearing & Motor Wear questions

Old 01-05-2022, 09:57 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Gearing & Motor Wear questions

I was using a 17.5T Team Scream motor that I bought off one of the other guys at the track in my TA05. I have a 94T spur gear and a 47T pinion for a gear ratio of 4.5.

I guess there was something wrong with my setup because the motor ultimately got way too hot and the motor has stopped working properly. I'm not sure if I burned it out or in what way I damaged it but its pretty much done for.

I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong. I always made sure to not have the spur and pinion too tight and the belt is installed per the manual -- its not tight at all. Does a gear ratio of 4.5 seem reasonable for a 17.5T motor on a relatively tight asphalt track with a single straight?
Old 01-05-2022, 10:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by visuvius View Post
Does a gear ratio of 4.5 seem reasonable for a 17.5T motor on a relatively tight asphalt track with a single straight?
Yes, seems reasonable. What's the motor endbell timing?

Old 01-05-2022, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Looks to be about 35
Old 01-06-2022, 05:36 AM
Tech Elite

way over geared 2:1. motor could never reach max rpm..but thats just me and who knows what motor was put thru b4 you but you cooked that steak extra well done
Old 01-06-2022, 03:31 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

That pinion/spur combination does result in 4.5FDR, which should be fine. But there are a lot of variables that could have caused it to melt down. Any time you have a new setup, you should run it for maybe a minute before checking motor temps.

How long were you running before you noticed the problem? Take the motor or pinion out and double check there's no significant resistance on the drive train by rotating the spur by hand. Check again with the steering at full both left and right.
Old 01-06-2022, 05:21 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GerryH View Post
That pinion/spur combination does result in 4.5FDR, which should be fine. But there are a lot of variables that could have caused it to melt down. Any time you have a new setup, you should run it for maybe a minute before checking motor temps.

How long were you running before you noticed the problem? Take the motor or pinion out and double check there's no significant resistance on the drive train by rotating the spur by hand. Check again with the steering at full both left and right.
Multiple runs of 4 or 5 minutes. I knew it was getting hot but I had a fan on it and figured it was okay.

What is a good temp to stay under for a brushless motor with my setup?