Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Steering Problems in a TA05 (with video) >

Steering Problems in a TA05 (with video)

Steering Problems in a TA05 (with video)

Old 01-04-2022, 11:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Steering Problems in a TA05 (with video)

Hello, I need some advice on a steering issue I'm having with my TA05. I've taken a video of the problem but in short, what's happening is the left turnbuckle adjuster is hitting the chassis which is causing the servo to make unpleasant sounds and kind of pushing the left C hub out of position. It's only the innermost turnbuckle adjuster on the left side that is hitting the chassis when I turn right -- the turnbuckle adjusters on the right side of the car don't hit the chassis when I turn left. I've checked the manual several times and as far as I can tell, the steering pieces are installed correctly. The adjusters look to be the basic Tamiya ones from the manual...so I'm kind of confused as to how this is happening.

Now, the servo is also very noisy in general and I'm not sure what thats about but it seems to work okay. I just can't seem to get this issue figured out where I'm rubbing against the chassis. I have to turn my travel all the way down to like 70% which is right where it stops before hitting the chassis.

Please watch the short video to see what I'm talking about. At about 40 seconds in you can clearly see the issue. Any advice appreciated.

Old 01-05-2022, 02:36 AM
Tech Elite

you can put a old school motor shim under that left side inner screw then put it back together or trim ca small area of chassis
Old 01-05-2022, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

So is it okay for the steering geometry to simply shim under those screws where the turnbuckles connect to the steering piece to lift them up? I would rather do that than take a file to the chassis.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

yes as long as screw is long enough.
Old 01-05-2022, 06:15 PM
Tech Champion

Your linkage geometry is wrong. Check the servo link length, centre the servo and mount the horn at the correct angle as per manual. Then use SUB-TRIM to get it to exactly the right angle, not trim. While you're at it, check VERY CAREFULLY that none of the components are cracked/bent/stretched/distorted.....
Old 01-05-2022, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS View Post
Your linkage geometry is wrong. Check the servo link length, centre the servo and mount the horn at the correct angle as per manual. Then use SUB-TRIM to get it to exactly the right angle, not trim. While you're at it, check VERY CAREFULLY that none of the components are cracked/bent/stretched/distorted.....
Okay I'm going to try re-mounting the horn onto the servo per the manual. The linkages are definitely the right length at 13mm...I've checked them several times with calipers.
Old 01-06-2022, 08:54 PM
Tech Adept

So I took the entire steering assembly apart to see what was going on. In addition to the issue I'm posting about there is also some play in the steering that I was trying to get to the bottom to.

So in this image:

Instead of part BB36, the person I bought the car from used some shims, about 1.2mm on one side and 1.1mm on the other side.

I'm hoping that this is the cause of my troubles? The steering never felt tight in the car...could this be the cause?

I've ordered the part on ebay.

Old 01-06-2022, 09:03 PM
Tech Adept

Actually I'm still confused...I realized that the part K16 is not the same as the part that I have...I've got some kind of hop up with bearings in it. What sucks is I don't have the instructions for the hop up so I'm not sure if the bearings are supposed to have those shims under them or not?

LOL I guess I ordered BB36 prematurely?
Old 01-07-2022, 09:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The flathead screw can be used, but typically on steering racks with bearings you would use a button screw. With this setup, I'd think you'd only have a single bearing that sits "inside" the carbon fiber piece. Are those flanged bearings? You don't want the raised part of K14 touching anything other than the inner race of the bearing. And you don't want the screw head to be rubbing on anything either.

It's entirely possible you have the screws too tight and it's causing it to bind up.

I don't know what Tamiya manual you have, but in my TA05IFS (that's the model you have), the CF part should be mounted under the steering arms. Looks like in your video it's on top of them. That's probably what's causing the tierods to hit the chassis.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:49 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by GerryH View Post
The flathead screw can be used, but typically on steering racks with bearings you would use a button screw. With this setup, I'd think you'd only have a single bearing that sits "inside" the carbon fiber piece. Are those flanged bearings? You don't want the raised part of K14 touching anything other than the inner race of the bearing. And you don't want the screw head to be rubbing on anything either.

It's entirely possible you have the screws too tight and it's causing it to bind up.

I don't know what Tamiya manual you have, but in my TA05IFS (that's the model you have), the CF part should be mounted under the steering arms. Looks like in your video it's on top of them. That's probably what's causing the tierods to hit the chassis.
First of all...thanks for clarifying which model TA05 I have. I bought this from someone on rctech several years ago and I can't find the details of the transaction or which model it was. Can't find the original for sale thread. I've been assuming its a TA05V2.

Secondly yes, those bearings are flanged. I'm a little confused when you say I have the IFS because in the picture you posted, I don't have that piece K7. I've got the piece from my image, K15.
Old 01-08-2022, 11:47 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by visuvius View Post
I've been assuming its a TA05V2.

Secondly yes, those bearings are flanged. I'm a little confused when you say I have the IFS because in the picture you posted, I don't have that piece K7. I've got the piece from my image, K15.
You have a V2, gold edition - V2 is very similar to IFS, but it has slightly different chassis - it has updated motor mount design and steering is different, too.
Old 01-09-2022, 04:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by visuvius View Post
So I took the entire steering assembly apart to see what was going on. In addition to the issue I'm posting about there is also some play in the steering that I was trying to get to the bottom to.

So in this image:

Instead of part BB36, the person I bought the car from used some shims, about 1.2mm on one side and 1.1mm on the other side.

I'm hoping that this is the cause of my troubles? The steering never felt tight in the car...could this be the cause?

I've ordered the part on ebay.
Yours has the upgraded CF center link thingy. I *think* it has been assembled upside down, assuming it only has one bearing on each side. The raised bosses on K14 and K15 are supposed to gently kiss the inner race of the bearing. It should only require 1 thin shim (maybe 0.2) between the bearing and the boss, and a screw through the whole lot from the top side (bearing sunken in side).

Tamiya steering has always been a very loose, impossible to shim out. At best, new ball cups and studs and new bearings. And shim the hell out of everything where possible.
Old 01-09-2022, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It's not going to solve your problem but you have an ta-05 IFS with a TA-05 ver II rack part.
If you go to this link its a page for the Tamiya cars, you can probably get the manual(s) you need or want there.
RC Manual Download Page (tamiya.com)
Old 01-09-2022, 09:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Kregger View Post
It's not going to solve your problem but you have an ta-05 IFS with a TA-05 ver II rack part.
It's not IFS, you can see Ver2 motor mount in the video.
Old 01-09-2022, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There is some already great info on this thread. Let me add some more info with Tamiya part numbers. Here are the sources I typically use when searching for Tamiya parts numbers.

https://www.tamiyabase.com/chassis
You can search by Tamiya Part# or you can search by model name on this page such as TA05

https://www.tamiya.com/english/rc/manuals.htm
This is the best resource to find Tamiya R/C manuals for the basic kit or variant. However be aware that if there is a body included with a kit or if it is a special edition chassis, the kit number will be different than the base model kit number.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/radio-control/cars/
Before you browse Tamiya kits on this website, make sure to check the Show Discontinued at the bottom left of the page.

Here is a search I did on the Tamiya USA site for TA05 including discontinued kits.
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/radio...continued=true

In the case of the original question in the thread, we are trying to help solve a problem with what looks like the RC TA05V.II Gold Chassis Kit Item #84275.
The basic RC TA05 Version II Chassis Kit Item #92217.

Unfortunately I am unable to find a specific manual for the TA05 Gold kit but I have been able to find all the upgrade parts for the TA05 on the Tamiya USA website. Here are a some useful links...
TA05 RC CARBON STEERING LINK ITEM# 53883 - https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/optio...steering-link/
RC TA05 ALUM RACING STEER SET ITEM# 53848 - https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/optio...ing-steer-set/

Here is a link to an ebay listing that shows these parts assembled (no guarantee they are assembled correctly)
Tamiya 53848 & 53883 TA05 Aluminium Racing Steering Set (TA-05/TA05IFS/TA-05IFS) | eBay

As of this post on 1/9/22, Tamiya USA online shopping is closed and these parts may be discontinued. However I have found both of the parts for purchase from ebay or various online hobby stores.

Hope this information helps.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 01-09-2022 at 11:33 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.