RC car ESC shutting of on acceleration >

RC car ESC shutting of on acceleration

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By rcbuggy88

RC car ESC shutting of on acceleration

Old 07-30-2021, 04:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default RC car ESC shutting of on acceleration

I bought a slash unassmbled kit last week, got it all together and spent a few hours driving it over a couple days. Yesterday I got it out to drive some more, it was good for about 10 minutes then just shut off. Specifically when I tried to go from reverse to forward. I opened the top, tried to go and it just shut off again.

I fiddled with the wires a but, thought I had it fixed but after a couple minutes it caught out again. Its hit or miss how long it lasts, but never more that 10 minutes, about half the time it shits back down the second I try to go. Sometimes I seem to be able to immediately turn the ESC back on, other times I need to disconnect and reconnect.

I spent some time researching and thought I narrowed it down to either the ESC or the motor. I bought a replacement for both planning to get a replacement part for whichever OS bad. (It should be under warrenty, I just need to find the problem) put them in....about 5 minutes in same exact issue.

What else could it be? I've check the battery voltage and that looks good when even when the car is shutting down. Just he be clear, it's not like its sputtering. Or cutting in/out. It's just shutting off when I accelerate from a stop and only working once I restart the ESC, sometimes I need to unhook the power just to do that. It also doesn't seem to matter if I do a fast or slow accleration, you hear the motor about to go, then it's off. It hasn't shut off once while it was moving.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:33 PM
Tech Addict

It sounds like you are hitting low voltage protection. Under acceleration, especially coming from reverse, the voltage will drop a bit due to the large current draw and trip the esc's low voltage protection. Usually, it is adjustable, on the traxxas you can change between on or off. What was your battery voltage after it shut down, and also what type of battery do you have + how many cells are there?
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:20 AM
Tech Elite

sound like lvc is on when it should be off.. if running nimh then lipo lvc should be off.
Old 08-05-2021, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Assuming you are using a Traxxas Slash speed control such as the Traxxas XL5, your ESC (Electronic Speed Control) may be set to low voltage detection for lipo batteries. As others have stated you want to check to make sure which mode the speed control is using (Lipo or Nihm).

The following link will show you how to program a Traxxas XL5 ESC and adjust the low voltage detection
https://traxxas.com/support/Programm...-Speed-Control

The following link is the Traxxas Slash Assembly Manual which also contains XL5 ESC programming instructions on page 33 of the manual.
https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...l%20-%20EN.pdf

----------

Please provide additional information about the battery, charger, and speed control/ESC you are using if you are still having issues. It may be possible that your battery or charger are defective and your battery is not receiving a full charge. It also may be possible that your charger is setup improperly.

The more information you can provide, the better our answers will be.

I hope the information I have provided was helpful.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 08-14-2021 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-13-2021, 03:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I agree with the above posts, LVC