Slash 2wd slipper clutch question

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By GerryH
  • 1 Post By Timmahh

Slash 2wd slipper clutch question

Old 07-04-2021, 01:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Slash 2wd slipper clutch question

G'day again, I have another newbie question. A few day ago I upgraded my 2wd slash from the brushed titan 550 to a brushless hobbywing combo. I had adjusted the tension according to the traxxas manual for the titan which says to tighten fully then back off by one full turn.

Well, I took it for a run today and halfway through my first S2 battery I started loosing power. It turns out that the slipper clutch was really slipping, enough that I could smell it and it got hot enough to discolor the plate.
Can anyone give me a rough idea as to how much tension I should be using now ?
Cheers.
Old 07-05-2021, 04:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The best way to set the Traxxas slipper is by sound. If you give it full throttle from a dead stop, you should be able to hear it slip for only a couple of feet. You might have to tighten and loosen the slipper a couple of times and try this method until you know what to listen for.

If I remember correctly, I think I was doing about a half turn out from full spring compression. But I also tune the slipper based on how the truck is performing. If the backend is spinning out coming out of corners, I'll loosen it.

What Hobbywing combo did you get?
angrymelon and Wizstix like this.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:34 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Springs can get weak. just a mention on that.

But this just sounds like too little pressure. For a BL motor setup, I generally go full tight and back off 1/2 turn max then try. Adjust from there.
BL *Brushles) have a fair bit more torque on hand than your general brushed motor. thus a tighter slipper setting would be apropos.

Wizstix likes this.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the info guys, sounds like i'll be taking my tools with me next time I go for a bash. Hope I get it right before burning out another plate lol

GerryH, I bought the Hobbywing EzRun Max10 3652sl 4000kv motor/esc combo, it's got the little slash absolutely flying :-)