Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
????EXTRA PARTS???? >

????EXTRA PARTS????

????EXTRA PARTS????

Old 06-11-2021, 10:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Default ????EXTRA PARTS????

SO NOT NEW NEW BUT HAVE ALWAYS WONDERED WHAT SPARE PARTS I SHOULD TAKE WITH ME TO RC EVENTS!! I CURRENTLY DRAG RACE RC CARS AND I HAVE A BOX OF SPARE PARTS BUT IT SEEMS A WASTE TO TAKE CERTAIN THINGS FOR NO REASON!
Old 06-12-2021, 06:40 AM
Tech Elite

I took entire rolling chassis setup just like it was my main race rc.. you never know what will happen to your race rc..
Old 06-12-2021, 07:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Why are you yelling with caps?

The answer is, depends on what your local place stocks and how much you want to invest.

I have way too many parts in my parts box, but it sucks when you are done for the day because you don't have a $10 part.

While not drag specific, In general, I carry suspension arms, bearing carriers, bearings, steering blocks at a minimum. The things that are most likely to break.

If there is potential to twist a CVD or break axle pins, those should be included.
Old 06-18-2021, 09:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Never feel like you have to take all your spare parts with you to the pit space at an r/c event. If possible have a basic pit bag/tote that you can take to the track and a secondary parts bag/tote that you can leave in your vehicle just in case of r/c parts breakage. If hauling extra parts isn't an option, then you will have to decide what to bring. After a while you will learn what parts are prone to breaking on your vehicle and you should keep a reasonable supply of those on hand.

Here are some things to keep in mind when deciding if you will bring extra parts...
- Is there an onsite hobby store?
- Are you racing a common vehicle?
- Do you have friends or people at the track that will help you out if you don't have the part you need?
- Does the track have any hard obstacles that could cause excessive breakage?

There is no way to provide a comprehensive list of things you should bring as it varies by vehicle. There have already been a few good responses in this thread already. But know that if you compete frequently you will eventually run into a scenario that you will break or bend a part that isn't commonly broken and cannot easily be replaced. This is just a reality of racing. As was already suggested, having a complete spare car is a good way to prepare for this eventuality. However having a spare car doesn't mean that the car has to be fully assembled.

One more quick thing to mention. If you are racing with sensored brushless motors, always have a new/spare sensor wire handy.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 06-18-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 06-18-2021, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I have Plano parts boxes for each of my cars. With a few exceptions, everything I normally need fits into those boxes. I typically have arms, axle carriers, differing springs for tuning and any other misc parts that happen to fit. As to know what replacement parts you need, it's very vehicle specific. I've bent an unknown number of shock shafts on my traxxas vehicles, but most of my other vehicles have never experienced a damaged shock shaft.

If I break/damage a part, I'm going to assume it's going to happen again and buy extras. Also helps to ask others that have the same model what things they have broken. But sometimes you'll break something that knocks you out for the rest of the day. Beyond investing in a whole second vehicle just in case, you can't always be prepared for the rare breaks.