Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Which transmitter for a new guy? >

Which transmitter for a new guy?

Like Tree15Likes

Which transmitter for a new guy?

Old 03-25-2021, 11:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Which transmitter for a new guy?

Wanting to get into racing. Planning on getting a TA B6.3 two wheel drive for carpet racing. Dont know which transmitter and receiver to get. Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 03-25-2021, 12:00 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

What is your radio budget?
Old 03-25-2021, 12:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Id say id budget $200-$250. Is Spektrum reliable or would Futaba work? 3 channel or should it be more?
Old 03-25-2021, 01:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been using a Spektrum DX5C for several years and it is reliable and affordable.
It has all the features you need.
jmccoy62003 likes this.
Old 03-25-2021, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sanwa MTS - top of your budget, but more racers run Sanwa than any other brand. If you stay with racing, you can upgrade and keep your receivers.
LowClassCC and jmccoy62003 like this.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:35 PM
Tech Elite

If your on a budget, go with the Spektrum. Extra receivers are about a 1/3 the price of Sanwa and Futaba. a radio will not make you faster, so don't think you will be losing performance. More drivers use Sanwa for the name, when it comes to a $200 radio. Just like more street basketball players where Nike. Now, if your were getting up to the high dollars units, that's another story.

If you get a Spektrum, get the one with the DX319 receiver. Whatever you do, don't get the transmitter with the SR6100AT receiver with the AVS. You can't use it in racing and it is a pain in the arse to deal with. The DX319 is a 3 channel and has 4 ports to fit steering, throttle, motor fan, and transponder.
jmccoy62003 likes this.
Old 03-25-2021, 05:10 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by belewis01
Sanwa MTS - top of your budget, but more racers run Sanwa than any other brand. If you stay with racing, you can upgrade and keep your receivers.
Agreed. Best value for the money you can get. Spektrum stuff is not terrible but generally considered lower-end and almost nobody runs their high-end radios.
jmccoy62003 likes this.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmccoy62003
Id say id budget $200-$250. Is Spektrum reliable or would Futaba work? 3 channel or should it be more?
Hello Mac and welcome to the forum. Consider Spektrum as your first purchase. However, both Futaba and Spektrum offer reliable systems.

My track runs six stadium trucks. Four of them Spektrum; two Futaba. Spektrum is (discontinued) DX4C with SR210 and SR215 receivers (2-channel). Futaba is 4PM with R304SB and R304SB-E receivers (4-channel). Two channels, steering and throttle/brake, is all I use and need.

Prefer Spektrum for these reasons: fewer adjustments than the Futaba; side panel display preference over top panel display; and finally Spektrum balance "feels right" in my hand. If you can try to get a feel for a radio in your hand before buying. Spektrum becomes an extension of my arm when using it. Really don't know it is there, if that makes sense? Futaba, always feel its presence in my hand. Personal preference, but important in racing - especially longer events.

My only experience with Sanwa was the now discontinued MX-V with RX-37W receiver. Still own it, but seldom use it.

Hope all this helps in your decision making. Cheers and good luck. 'AC'
jmccoy62003 likes this.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
If your on a budget, go with the Spektrum. Extra receivers are about a 1/3 the price of Sanwa and Futaba. a radio will not make you faster, so don't think you will be losing performance. More drivers use Sanwa for the name, when it comes to a $200 radio. Just like more street basketball players where Nike. Now, if your were getting up to the high dollars units, that's another story.

If you get a Spektrum, get the one with the DX319 receiver. Whatever you do, don't get the transmitter with the SR6100AT receiver with the AVS. You can't use it in racing and it is a pain in the arse to deal with. The DX319 is a 3 channel and has 4 ports to fit steering, throttle, motor fan, and transponder.
What he said.
I've used a Spektrum5 , Sanwa MX6 and MS 12. Now I use KoPropo EX-2. Its a funky radio, but I love it.
The Spektrum stuff, especially the DC5, is a standard "beginner" radio. IMO, theres nothing beginner about its performance or quality. Spektrum has had utterings of quality and performance issues by some. But I have never heard of any personally. At least where I race. You'll see either a Sanwa 12 and 17s for the most part. Futaba 7s, and Spektrum radios. In our 21.5 class of 10 or 12, almost everyone uses the DX5. Its a bit funky looking as well, but honestly, in my opinion, it felt really good in hand. Weight, balance and feel.
jmccoy62003 likes this.
Old 03-26-2021, 05:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmccoy62003
Wanting to get into racing. Planning on getting a TA B6.3 two wheel drive for carpet racing. Dont know which transmitter and receiver to get. Any help would be appreciated!!
Oh. Adding one other thing. Don't want to drift too far off your question, but I see the steering servo as part of the radio system. Take that into consideration as well in your radio budget. 'AC'
jmccoy62003 likes this.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:34 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by AHR43
Prefer Spektrum for these reasons: fewer adjustments than the Futaba; side panel display preference over top panel display; and finally Spektrum balance "feels right" in my hand. If you can try to get a feel for a radio in your hand before buying. Spektrum becomes an extension of my arm when using it. Really don't know it is there, if that makes sense? Futaba, always feel its presence in my hand. Personal preference, but important in racing - especially longer events.

My only experience with Sanwa was the now discontinued MX-V with RX-37W receiver. Still own it, but seldom use it.
The Sanwa MTS is a big step up from the MX-V. You get the same high-end receiver that comes with the M12s and SSR compatibility (for servos). The MX-V is not a good reference when comparing against the mid-higher range of Sanwa transmitters. The MX-V is also much lighter and uses a different receiver with slower transmission speeds.

Sanwa > Futaba > Spektrum

Sanwa even the mid-range transmitters have better transmission speeds than Spektrum, and MTS is $249.99
I don't see why anyone would want fewer adjustments and if you have a B6.3, you don't want a beginner radio...

That said, the fit is also important so go and hold a few to see which ones feel good.

jmccoy62003 likes this.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is that if this is your first transmitter purchase, always by new. And if you have a local hobby store, try the radio in your hand WITH batteries installed. Depending on the size of your hands, some radios may feel more comfortable than others. Also the grip size and trigger location will vary between models and brand.

If you happen to be left handed, there are radios that allow you to install/move the steering wheel to the left hand side of the radio (most radios come by default with the steering on the right). Also some radios allow the option to adjust the position of the wheel up or down on the transmitter. Typically these options are only available on higher end models. Some older Spektrum and Futaba radios did have the option to be left-handed as well. However I would always be cautious buying any used transmitters. I would also never recommend buying used receivers as they can often be damaged without showing any visual signs of abuse.

Once last thing, a race vehicle will typically have a servo, ESC or servo to control the throttle, and a transponder for lap counting. Some people also install cooling fans for their electric motors. Each one of these components will need to be powered, typically from the radio receiver. Make sure that the receiver you are using has enough ports for those devices. Please note that on most 2-channel receivers that the external battery connection can also power a transponder or fan (but not always). Some receivers also allow the bind port plug to power devices (but again not always).

If you have any questions about radio specifications, you can usually find the manuals easily online.

Hope this information helps.

AHR43 and jmccoy62003 like this.
Old 03-28-2021, 07:05 AM
Tech Adept

Futaba 3pv. or equivalent Sanwa. I've seen WAY too much glitchyness from Spectrum. In the last racing season(winter) I've seen 4 separate cars get destroyed due to Spectrum radio glitches.
jmccoy62003 and JeepPower like this.
Old 03-29-2021, 10:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I don't think you can go wrong with any of these brands. Many times people stick with a brand because multiple receivers will end up costing way more than the transmitter, so it's easier to upgrade to a newer transmitter and keep all your receivers. Obviously the more you spend the more features and ease of use you get. Sounds like your budget is enough for a middle grade.

It's been mentioned before, if you can either try one at your local hobby store or go to the track and look and see what people are using. Ask someone what they like and what they don't like about their transmitter. I have a Futaba and really dislike the model selection function on my transmitter. It's also helpful when you're a beginner having other people at the track that are familiar with your radio when you need help. It's hard when I'm trying to help someone and I need to do something like set end points and I can't figure it out because they have an uncommon brand transmitter.
Old 03-29-2021, 11:29 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If you are racing, at least go with a 4PM. The 3PV doesnt have servo speed adjustments. I have been racing a 4PM but had some issues so bound a 3PV with the cars. It worked fine, but I could not locate a servo speed adjustment which is valuable.

So, my recommendation is a 4PM or equivalent for racing. a 3PV is fine for bashing.
mrreet2001 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.