Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
2wd vs 4wd Buggy as first buggy >

2wd vs 4wd Buggy as first buggy

2wd vs 4wd Buggy as first buggy

Old 03-10-2021, 01:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 2wd vs 4wd Buggy as first buggy

Hey all, so background: picked up a TRX4 crawler and built it, then an scte 3.0 and built it for track/light bashing. Caught the bug big time and loving it. Obviously building isn't a problem and part of what I am loving about RC. so now i am looking at a 1/10th buggy. We have 3 outdoor dirt tracks up here around seattle, one outdoor carpet track, and one indoor dirt track in tacoma (a little over an hr away). I am thinking about a buggy to round things out for now. once things "open up" looking to try my hand at racing.

I am thinking 2wd buggy setup for dirt. I know the outdoor tracks do not have a ton of traction and it will be a handful, but figure less parts to break, and it will teach me to drive. thinking 17.5 stock setup. Later i can move it to a carpet specific car if i want, or i can play on the carpet with it for a little (non-competitive) to see if i like that. Am i completely off kilter in that thought?

Next, i am leaning towards Losi SS 5.0 elite kit as a build because of the SCTE 3.0 and in the family, there might be some crossover parts, and the "race" shop close to me has already had some good supply on spares that I have needed. But also i know Associated is almost the industry standard in a way and the 10b6.2d kit is pretty dialed. preferences?

This thing will get beat up as i learn to drive it. not afraid of maintenance but dont want to ALWAYS be working on it. (me being a dumbass aside).

Anyway open to all thoughts and opinions and any requests for more info.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:05 PM
Tech Rookie

I am just starting out in the hobby and want to be able to eventually race so I went to a local hobby shop where the owner was very helpful and patient with all my questions. He recommended the Team Associated 6.2d as that is what a lot of the others race at his track. Good parts support, lots of help and advice from others at the track were 2 big selling points as to why I chose that model. He recommended the 2 wheel drive as a way to learn more skill as a driver. He said if you can drive a 2 wheel you will be able to do 4 wheel if you want in the future. See what others run at the tracks in your area and jump in and have some fun
Old 03-10-2021, 08:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

You can’t go wrong with the tlr or a b6.2. I own both. One isn’t miles ahead of the other. Quick change diff on the 6.2 is nice though.

I think you have a good plan with a 2wd. If your local shop sells TLR and stocks part I’d go with that.
Old 03-10-2021, 08:31 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I started off road(clay) last June with 4wheel buggy. Then added 2wheel. Ran both till December. Then decided to go 2wheel only. Seems to fit my driving better. Not sure why, my only real 2wheel experience came from Kyosho MiniZ. But going from 2wheel to 4wheel then back to 2wheel( usually run 3 classes) was fun. But could tell my driving wasnít improving. Had kinda gone flat. Since just going 2wheel Iíve been improving.

I do plan to give my 4wheel buggy a run in the coming weeks.

I run Associated B6.1 in 17.5 and mod buggy
Old 03-11-2021, 10:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Either brand is good. If you already have a Losi and want to stay with Losi, you'll be just fine getting the Losi. There are pros and cons to both cars, but they equal each other out. Also, racing on carpet and dirt requires totally different tuning.

As for 2wd vs 4wd? the bottom line is, 4wd will cost you a lot more money to get into, with parts and upgrades, and it is a lot more competitive. Also, they require a lot more understanding when it comes to tuning them.
Old 03-11-2021, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Check with where you plan to race, many tracks do not allow 4wd cars to race in novice/beginner, so starting out racing you might get thrown into the 4wd class as a new racer. This may or may not be an issue for you. 2wd can always run in the "beginner" class.
Old 03-11-2021, 02:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I would recommend starting out with a 4wd buggy if you are going to be using it for track driving. A few reasons:
  • 4wd will get you out of situations that you will have to come down off the stand to reset a 2wd car.
  • 4wd is less dependent on picking the right tires. It's still important for competition, but not as picky as a 2wd car.
  • 4wd is overall, easier to drive especially when starting out.
  • 4wd the weight balance is better so it's easier to handle on jumps (i.e. air control).

Any of the competition cars from the big brands will be fine (i.e. Losi, TA, Xray, etc). Whatever your local hobby shop supports will make it easier to get parts when or if something breaks but they are all pretty sturdy these days.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Here's 2 cents from someone that has both and is not very good at either. Get the one that make you happy.

My son and I are here in Tacoma. We mostly are there for open track time. We only club race every 6-8 weeks. Here are my observations that may help you pick. For club races there is typically enough cars in 17.5 2wd for either a full B Main or a short C-Main. There is a range of skill levels in that class. Starting out you will have someone in the same skill level to rub tires with. In 13.5 4wd, there seems to be a bigger disparity between the new guys and the fast guys. It's also typically a smaller number of entries. The last couple of times I raced 4wd there were a couple other slow guys and we had fun

Go the club race tomorrow night or Sunday on liverc.com
Old 03-13-2021, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's great to hear that you want to race. Its a wonderful hobby as you know.
Here's some things I've noticed over the years.... Starting out, you'll be just as fast with a tlr 22 DC vs elite. If money isn't a big consideration, by all means, get whatever hopups you desire., I see some new racers that have absolutely every hopup you can buy for a 2wd buggy because they think they need all that to be fast, or maybe just because they want to. Whatever the reason, no business of mine...It looks great, but they're always on the wrong tire..or shitty tires, then they're driving is disrupting everyone else's race. So the point is, it really doesn't matter what you drive if you're on the wrong tire...
4wd isn't (easier to drive) like some say. It handles better yes, but its not easier. Quite the opposite. A 13.5 wheeler is really effing fast!! At my local track, a bit small,, a fast wheeler lap is teetering on 12 sec...theres not a place on the track to really open them up..so its very, very challenging..
So, if you're looking to be in this hobby for a long while, make well informed incremental steps. If there is a 21.5 class available, enter that. Its much more enjoyable racing and more competitive for a new racer. Ive seen it happen. A new racer wants to have fun. They see all these guys in 17.5 buggy and says, hey, I wanna do this!! Looks awesome. You're right, it is...Until you get lit up and everyone gets pissed because your taking everyone out. Its absolutely not your fault perse...
We at our track just started a 21.5 and it has completely changed our club.
Last point.... we all race, I think, to have fun and be competitive. If your just starting out, and in a class thats above your skill level, are you going to have fun and be competitive coming in last or close to it, and 4 laps down?
I've seen that happen as well. An unwillingness to actually work and practice racecraft is the demise of some of the new racers I see. The other is intimidation. You sound like you have a good head on your shoulders...But I'll remind you nonetheless. Lol...YOU DONT NEED TO SPEND A LOT TO HAVE FUN IN RC RACING...REMEMBER THAT.
Kudos to you for asking questions. You'll get different opinions from different racers. Take mine, and everyone else's into consideration and ask yourself what you, personally want out of rc racing. Then get out there and put some laps in.
🤪🤪🤪🤪
Old 03-14-2021, 07:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Another thread, similar discussion:

2WD vs 4WD for recreational racing
Old 03-15-2021, 09:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by estill View Post
Here's 2 cents from someone that has both and is not very good at either. Get the one that make you happy.

My son and I are here in Tacoma. We mostly are there for open track time. We only club race every 6-8 weeks. Here are my observations that may help you pick. For club races there is typically enough cars in 17.5 2wd for either a full B Main or a short C-Main. There is a range of skill levels in that class. Starting out you will have someone in the same skill level to rub tires with. In 13.5 4wd, there seems to be a bigger disparity between the new guys and the fast guys. It's also typically a smaller number of entries. The last couple of times I raced 4wd there were a couple other slow guys and we had fun

Go the club race tomorrow night or Sunday on liverc.com
First off thanks to everyone here for all the support and help with this!

Estill, I live in seattle area so went down to tacoma on Saturday for practice with the SCT and holy hell I had a blast. Then on Sunday went to do practice before they raced, but that was closed down for race only practice. So instead watched the practice and watched some qualifying heats.

Decided on a B6.2D and picked it up there... should be getting my motor on Wednesday... already started the build!