Help me choose beginner buggy >

Help me choose beginner buggy

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mahjik

Help me choose beginner buggy

Old 11-16-2020, 01:43 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Help me choose beginner buggy

Totally new to RC and in the market for a first hobby-grade vehicle. Been educating myself some...think I'm a basher (probably on the lighter end), no competition plans. Durability is a plus and I am not afraid of used. Budget ~$500, including power.

Local CL has a Typhon 3S @ $250, 8ight-E @ $350...both excellent/light use, OEM radio, no batts/charger. What else would you suggest?

Last edited by dookie; 11-17-2020 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11-21-2020, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how much are you looking to spend and what type of track are you racing on?
Old 11-27-2020, 09:13 AM
Tech Rookie

So confused...where is my original post? Did I violate some rule and get removed? But not the reply?

In any case, budget is flexible. Actually looking for a pair...one for me, one for the kid. Since the original post is gone, let me recap...

Strictly bashing, no racing. Dirt/grass/sand. Durability a big plus 2s/3s power is plenty. 1/8 or 1/10 scale.

Had a couple local used options...Typhon 3s BLX and Losi 8ighty. Actually bought the Typhon, which was thrashed after I opened it up. Seller was kind enough to acknowledge and provide refund...I even overhauled the shocks for him. Still looking, but got to move soon w/Xmas coming. Nothing worthwhile on BF special it would appear.

I've come back to new I think. DB Pro for me, non-BLX Typhon for kid? Intrigued by the Lasernut too.
Old 11-27-2020, 04:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Are you looking for a "ready to run" or kits to build?

What's your budget?
Old 11-28-2020, 10:23 AM
Tech Rookie

RTR I think. Kits seem to end up much more expensive...I'll upgrade along the way, as things break.

Again, budget is flexible. What's it gonna take to not make a mistake (ie: minimum)? To start strong (but not first-class)?
Old 11-28-2020, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

I would look into something like:

https://www.amainhobbies.com/losi-te...027t1/p1051816
Old 11-29-2020, 07:32 AM
Tech Rookie

See post #3.

Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
I would look into something like:
DB Pro
Old 11-29-2020, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dookie View Post
See post #3.
That means you have someone else who agrees.
Old Today, 06:01 AM
Tech Rookie

I doubt anyone agrees with me on this, but if you're new to RC, stick with something cheap, durable, and easy to maintain like a Traxxas Slash 2WD. (People seem to hate the Slash because there are better options these days, but the age of the platform is its strength IMO)

I love this vehicle for kids, people new to the hobby, any anyone that is more interested in driving than wrenching/setup.

Spending under $200 for a durable truck with 2.4 radio, esc, motor, & servo is a great way to learn the sport/hobby.

Traxxas has had this car for 12? years now and they're STILL selling very well (I bought 2 this year- I've owned them in the past and still have the 4x4 Platinum) with super easy availability for parts, tons of online support in forums and old posts (12 year old vehicle, super popular). The overall design is not a "racing" design, rather a bashing/durability/fun design which allows a person to have fun and learn with it. It's simple, ready to run, and fairly easy to maintenance.

I have no problem with the Titan 12 Turn motor it comes with and would go with the brushed version personally. It'll be slower than the brushless and cheaper, the motor will have to be replaced at some point (you can drive it for a long time if you oil it and let it cool between batteries), but they're like $25-30.

Get some low priced 2S Lipos, a quality charger, and you're good to go.

If you decide you want something with more precision and/or want to race, then you can sell it for a minimal loss (you started at under $200) having gained experience (crashed a lot) on a durable 2WD Slash instead of bashing a Team Associated 74.1 to pieces and spending $$ and time repairing a complex and expensive vehicle.

I don't particularly enjoy driving short course trucks, but I still own them for kids and for introducing people into RC.

Not convinced starting with a racing oriented vehicle is the way to go for most.

It's tempting to "buy once, cry once" and just do it right the first time. But I'm not convinced that applies with RC. Where you start your journey is almost never where you end up. You will buy multiple vehicles over time and like/dislike each for different reasons. Start simple and cheap and go from there.

There are stock Slash racing classes at almost every track in addition to Rookie division. Just have fun.
Old Today, 10:52 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

are stock Slash racing classes at almost every track in addition to Rookie division. Just have fun.

I would check with the track first. Novice class has been very inconsistent where I race at since June. I’ve seen it now running back to back weekends. But the first 4 months I did not see it run once
Old Today, 12:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dookie View Post
Strictly bashing, no racing. Dirt/grass/sand. Durability a big plus 2s/3s power is plenty. 1/8 or 1/10 scale.
The OP did say "no racing"...
Billy Kelly likes this.