Community
Wiki Posts
Search

back into RC

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 03:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Default back into RC

Just getting back in RC cars, I used to race every Friday and Sunday in the late 80s with my dad in NJ. As I get my cars all set back up I am finding all this stuff about batteries....I used to use NiMh batteries and now I see all the Lipo batteries. I have 2 original Rc 10, a fox, frog and an Rc 12i, the wheels are shot on it.

So I am looking at batteries since my kids want to play around with them. Question is should I stick with NiMh since I have the old school chargers from back then or should I upgrade to LiPo ? Also what batteries are recommended and chargers as well? Would I be able to charge the LiPo like the old ones in 15 mins also? I am not looking to spend a ton of money but I would love to run the cars more then 10-15 mins. Thanks
Old 11-10-2020, 03:53 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

You can get more then 15 minutes. As for charging time, 30-40 minutes is easy to get. Batteries are becoming more reasonable priced.

I’m not familiar with the vehicles you mentioned. I’m guessing they aren’t good for Lipo.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kenoglass
Just getting back in RC cars, I used to race every Friday and Sunday in the late 80s with my dad in NJ. As I get my cars all set back up I am finding all this stuff about batteries....I used to use NiMh batteries and now I see all the Lipo batteries. I have 2 original Rc 10, a fox, frog and an Rc 12i, the wheels are shot on it.

So I am looking at batteries since my kids want to play around with them. Question is should I stick with NiMh since I have the old school chargers from back then or should I upgrade to LiPo ? Also what batteries are recommended and chargers as well? Would I be able to charge the LiPo like the old ones in 15 mins also? I am not looking to spend a ton of money but I would love to run the cars more then 10-15 mins. Thanks

I would stick with the NiMh batteries. Get one with higher MaH like a 4000mah. If you go LiPo, you will need to get new ESC's and a new charger.
Old 11-13-2020, 09:54 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Billy Kelly
You can get more then 15 minutes. As for charging time, 30-40 minutes is easy to get. Batteries are becoming more reasonable priced.

I’m not familiar with the vehicles you mentioned. I’m guessing they aren’t good for Lipo.
They were cars from late 80s. Once I can I will post some pics. Thanks
Old 11-13-2020, 09:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by OffRoadJunkie
I would stick with the NiMh batteries. Get one with higher MaH like a 4000mah. If you go LiPo, you will need to get new ESC's and a new charger.
Thanks. I will look into higher MaH batteries, I dont really feel like upgrading my charger, ESC and all.
Old 11-13-2020, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

You can get round lipo stick packs with a shape like the old NiMH batteries so you don't have to cut away bits of the chassis.

Check the dimensions of the NiMH batteries, they get bigger as the mah increases. I had some 3800mah which were a really tight fit in some Tamiya rereleases, but 3000 fitted fine.

A 2S lipo gives similar performance to a 7 cell NiMH and I would expect the old ESC to handle it. The only issue is they wont have the low voltage cutoff for lipo so you have to check voltage or get a separate low voltage alarm which are a few dollars.

A new charger may make life easier too, you can get some relatively cheap, like about USD50 for a dual charger that will charge any type of battery. I have the HTRC C240 and its been great.