Questions for getting back into the game

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OffRoadJunkie

Questions for getting back into the game

Old 10-14-2020, 12:54 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Questions for getting back into the game

Hey guys,

I've been out of the RC car game for the better part of 15 years as I lived in a 1 br apartment in the city but now am in a house with some property. I have an old RC10T3 I want to rejuvenate, the entire car is in overall very good condition, lot's of upgrades, but I don't have a working battery/charger and want to upgrade to brushless eventually.

1) Looking for easy to maintain LiPo batteries/chargers (Spektrum Smart Technology?) Which cells should I look into getting as I honestly forgot what is even required to power these type of cars.
2) I want to upgrade to a brushless motor/speed control eventually, what is the easiest brand to set up/get going with?

If anyone has any other suggestions just let me know besides upgrading the car, first I want to get this thing moving to make sure I still enjoy it before buying a new car.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 10-19-2020, 10:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Eggochiggo View Post
Hey guys,

I've been out of the RC car game for the better part of 15 years as I lived in a 1 br apartment in the city but now am in a house with some property. I have an old RC10T3 I want to rejuvenate, the entire car is in overall very good condition, lot's of upgrades, but I don't have a working battery/charger and want to upgrade to brushless eventually.

1) Looking for easy to maintain LiPo batteries/chargers (Spektrum Smart Technology?) Which cells should I look into getting as I honestly forgot what is even required to power these type of cars.
2) I want to upgrade to a brushless motor/speed control eventually, what is the easiest brand to set up/get going with?

If anyone has any other suggestions just let me know besides upgrading the car, first I want to get this thing moving to make sure I still enjoy it before buying a new car.

Thanks,
Mike
Hello Mike.
Here are some ideas to look at. I'm guessing your only using it for bashing around the yard. If you going to race it, then you will need to go a different route. They do have vintage class at some tracks. If you plan on using these same electronics in your new car that you will race, then you will need to go a different route. Again, mainly the ESC, is not designed for racing.

1) Zeee makes decent batteries. Look into the 2s batteries. I would recommend getting a shorty because if you get a new vehicle, it will fit. For a charger, get one that has a balancer and an LCD display. I have the Hitec RDX1. They run around $70. That's pretty much what a decent charger will cost.
2) For and ESC, check out the Hobbywing Quicrun 10BL120. It has reverse and has a motor sensor port. It is not designed for racing, but it will work for bashing. For a motor, 13.5T will move you pretty fast. If you're not racing, you don't really need to spend more than $50-$60.
AHR43 likes this.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:48 PM
Tech Addict

Default Try Hobbywing Justock

Have a T3 running the back yard grass track oval. Love it. It is my lightest and quickest truck. Bought it off Ebay as a roller and installed a HW 13.5 BL (brushless) Justock combo. Have since down-motored it to a 17.5 Justock. Truck is so light that is all it needs. Battery is 2s x 4600 LiPo 7.4v 'shorty'...with lots of foam battery spacers...

Hope this helps and welcome back to the hobby. Cheers. 'AC'

Last edited by AHR43; 10-25-2020 at 06:52 PM. Reason: add a battery voltage
Old 10-26-2020, 04:22 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AHR43 View Post
Have a T3 running the back yard grass track oval. Love it. It is my lightest and quickest truck. Bought it off Ebay as a roller and installed a HW 13.5 BL (brushless) Justock combo. Have since down-motored it to a 17.5 Justock. Truck is so light that is all it needs. Battery is 2s x 4600 LiPo 7.4v 'shorty'...with lots of foam battery spacers...

Hope this helps and welcome back to the hobby. Cheers. 'AC'
I run a Justock in my race buggy, but it doesn't have reverse. If you plan on racing, then it's a good choice. Also, the Justock doesn't have the best brakes. They are actually on the weaker side. I just ordered a couple Tekin RS ESC's. I'm moving up in the world.

Old 10-26-2020, 10:51 PM
Tech Addict

the justock is a very good esc for the money, and you can put reverse on it, you just need to program it. There are some instructions online to do that type of thing. They also come stock at 75% max brake so you can adjust that too. Very good escs for the money
Old 10-27-2020, 09:42 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88 View Post
the justock is a very good esc for the money, and you can put reverse on it, you just need to program it. There are some instructions online to do that type of thing. They also come stock at 75% max brake so you can adjust that too. Very good escs for the money

Deffinately a good ESC for the money. That's why I got one. I already bumped my braking to 100%. It's works good on my buggy, but not very good with bigger tires in high grip situations. I never heard anything about being able to program reverse into. That would be very cool if I could do that. I'll check it out.
Old 10-28-2020, 01:14 PM
Tech Addict

https://www.hobbywing.com/products/e...R10Justock.pdf
its a big image, might take a while to load. Its the instructions which includes how to put reverse in.
Yeah, its obviously not as powerful as a mod esc but for stock 2wd buggy its pretty good. I would probably still put it in a stadium truck but for 4wd buggy I would probably put something else in. Tekin stuff has kinda been fading out recently, bit expensive for what it is. use different plugs for their fans, and personally i think the escs look ugly. They used to be good I think they just have some catching up to do.
Old 10-28-2020, 06:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rcbuggy88 View Post
https://www.hobbywing.com/products/e...R10Justock.pdf
its a big image, might take a while to load. Its the instructions which includes how to put reverse in.
Yeah, its obviously not as powerful as a mod esc but for stock 2wd buggy its pretty good. I would probably still put it in a stadium truck but for 4wd buggy I would probably put something else in. Tekin stuff has kinda been fading out recently, bit expensive for what it is. use different plugs for their fans, and personally i think the escs look ugly. They used to be good I think they just have some catching up to do.

Thank you.
I went and looked it up and found it has reverse. When I was doing the research on ESC, all of the descriptions don't mention it having reverse. I guess I should have paid more attention to the programing instructions.

The main reason I got a Tekin is for some of it's features. I love the small footprint and the bluetooth capabilities. As for technology, what is it missing that the others have? I have only heard good things about them, so please enlighten me. As for looks, They don't look as tough as they are. When it comes to good looking ESCs, I really like the Orions. To bad they are fading out.