Brand newb.  Servo question >

Brand newb. Servo question

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Funkydrummer1

Brand newb. Servo question

Old 09-08-2020, 07:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Brand newb. Servo question

Im new to the sport... well iv been renting and driving my local tracks cars for about a month. I wanted to build one. Slowly learning about parts, tips and tricks etc... but now im building an rc10 6.2. I am having some diffuculty determining what the differnces in the servos are. Are they reliant on the radio? Does anyone have any recommendations of a few that will work for the car? I am starting from scratch and the servo is first on yhe electronic list of items for me purchase unless someone suggest other wise

long story short. Please help with a servo crash course to steer me in the right direction. Get it?
Old 09-09-2020, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I'll give a very simple explanation. Basically 2 kinds of servos. Torque and speed. Some have both.
with 2wd, you want speed over Torque. For the obvious reason that the fronts are free and not under any load.
For wheeler you want Torque. (And speed).
you'll see ratings on servos. Like: 0.08 to lets say 0.14. Thats the time it takes to make a full lock back and forth.
​​ Torque is measured in oz/in. So 2wd is good at 130-150. Huge Torque monsters go to 500.
servos are not reliant on any particular radio. Do some research and see what local guys are using. Savox , Protek, mks, spektrum are the industry standard brands.
Bry195 likes this.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

There's a lot of choices out there and lots of different technology. I'll try to break it down for you.

Analog and Digital. Both will work, analog is more old school and typically doesn't do as good of a job holding a position as digital. Also in most cases, digital is faster.

Then you have size. For the TC6.2 you can use a "standard" size or even a low profile, but it's not required.

Another feature that has no impact on performance is spline count. You'll need a servo arm that matches the spline count on your servo. The most common is 25 teeth, but servos from Hitec and Airtronics/Sanwa have a different number. Guessing you bought your 6.2 used. Check what servo arm you have. It either will have a number or a letter on it. Letters are F, H and A. F is the common 25 teeth.

Next speed and torque. As Funky said for a TC6.2, you really don't need a lot of torque, so anything will probably be fine. Speed is how fast the shaft rotates. Anything over .20sec @ 6v is pretty slow. .08sec @ 6v is pretty fast. The faster your car is moving the more servo speed can help you. And this is where some of the other technology comes into play. You have brushless and coreless motors.

Some other features are ball bearings, some less expensive servos don't have ball bearings, but I'd recommend you don't bother with those. Buy one with dual ball bearings. The other is metal gears or plastic gears. Metal gears are more durable, but the TC6.2 has a servo saver, so metal gears isn't as important. If you buy a name brand servo, you can almost always buy replacement servo gears. But metal gears will be beneficial as it will provide durability if you're just getting started.

And finally you have cost. If you're just starting out, plan on spending $40-60 on a servo. You can spend less or more, but you should be able to find something decent in that range.

Let us know what choices you're considering.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

There are so many options out there, and different modes depending on your radio etc.

I just buy Savox 1258TG for my race cars, unless I need low profile. They have enough speed and torque for any 10th car. They are great value for money and bulletproof - one I bought secondhand has done 3 years racing offroad in 4wd stock class and its still going strong. I also have a B6D with a 1258TG and its great.
Old 09-15-2020, 08:11 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks to all for the info! I also managed to find a savox 1258tg used on here for a good deal.

Thanks again!!