Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Transmitter to slow things down >

Transmitter to slow things down

Transmitter to slow things down

Old 07-23-2020, 10:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Transmitter to slow things down

My child and I are new to this. We are attempting to select a transmitter system and are getting lost in the details. Will appreciate your help.

Our priorities:
Able to reduce sensitivity
Can limit top speed
Good fit for small hands
Durable

Ideally, the system would have a switchable group of settings. For example, with a Child Mode and a Dad Mode without limits. We donít mind programming this once but will want to be able to switch back and forth in the field without undue effort.

Proposed vehicle is a Tamiya rally car built from a kit TBD.

Thank you for your help
Old 07-23-2020, 02:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

radios that have dual rate end point adjustment knobs. you can just adjust the throttle down to say 30% speed. then when you're driving turn it up to 100%. until your son figures out the speed knob.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

you can make 2 different model setting 1 for your son set endpoints on throttle down to a manageable speed.. and 1 for you set at 100%
Old 07-23-2020, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

A lot of radios will do it, the Flysky GT3C seems to be a popular choice and they're pretty cheap.

I ended up getting my son a Futaba 3PV as its quite a small radio and he has small hands. Its easy to change the speed so we can swap, takes less than a minute, but its hard enough that he hasn't worked out how, unlike the little knobs you twist like on the 3PRKA which he worked out when he was 4. The 3PV has 10 model memory too, so when I buy a new Tamiya rerelease I can tell my wife its for him and not me...
Old 07-23-2020, 11:19 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Spektrum DX2L has a quick-select throttle limiting switch with Hi/Med/Lo settings. Very handy for RCs that you want to be able to hand to kids without going to a lot of trouble to adjust the throttle while they're watching, so they won't ask what you're doing and why they're not allowed to have as much fun as you. You can just flip the switch as you hand the controller to them. The only downside is the DX2L is discontinued, but they are still available on eBay.

Traxxas radios have a multi-function knob that can be configured to control many things, and I think throttle limiting is one of the available settings. That may also be a viable option.

Controllers that fit small hands is a different problem. They're basically all built to fit adult hands. Unfortunately I don't think there are any options in that regard, unless you buy a really cheap off-brand radio that just happens to be "pocket size".