Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beginner Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 02:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Beginner Kit?

Greetings all, I'm pre-new to the hobby, as I don't have a car yet, but I'm thinking of diving in and could use some help sorting through the options. I'll try to provide as much information as possible here, and am happy to answer any questions that might be relevant that aren't covered. I'm looking to get started with a decent vehicle that will be fun for general purpose/learning. I'm comfortable with tinkering and electronics (3d printing is another hobby I enjoy) and believe I would enjoy building a kit, but could be persuaded to go with a RTR to get started. Ideally I would drive this in the backyard and parking lots and prefer more of an off-road/all terrain vehicle, but nothing like a crawler as some speed would be fun. I'm pretty well decided on electric rather than nitro/gas. My budget is flexible to some extent and I generally belief in trying to buy right the first time. That said, since I don't know how well I will really like it, I don't think I want to over-spend right now. I currently have no plans to participate in any organized racing, just backyard fun. I don't mind making repairs and doing maintenance, but I'd like something that I don't have to spend more time tinkering with than driving.

With all that in mind, a few questions:
1) Should I go cheap with a brushed RTR kit and then consider a better vehicle down the road if I want to, or are there good foundations that can grow with me if I choose wisely?
2) Are there any specific vehicles/brands to stay clear of, or to look for?
3) How much room is required to enjoy say a 1/10 scale vehicle?
4) Are RTRs the way to go, or is it better to get remotes and electronics separately?
5) If you were starting over, knowing what you know now, what would you start with?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Generally kits are better and they allow you to choose quality electronics the first time. Rtr's are a good way to get started. I went down the cheap brushed road initially and it cost me a lot more in long run.

I only have offroad vehicles. 1/10 and 1/8 are good sizes to get started with. I'd say you'll want baseball infield size and larger for them. 1/8 is generally more durable. I would recommend Arrma 6s 1/8 scale lineup. I think their new radios are only thing that need almost immediate replacement. A good inexpensive replacement is a Tactic TTX300. I dont think Traxxas is very good value; my first vehicle was a Traxxas, (had 4 traxxas total) and its low entry price is misleading. Look at recommended upgrades for a slash 2wd or 4wd and you'll get the idea.

Someone started thread recently trying to identify some of the various high-quality brands.

aussiercplayground has good reviews/videos on arrma vehicles.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:43 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If I knew now——. I’d have skipped, or stopped at just one large scale. 6s-8s stuff. It’s awesome but really need space to use them.

Kit or RTR to start with. It’s kind of a personality test question. I known of a lot that bought kits to start. Wanted to know about the car they be using. Then 3 weeks later it’s still sitting in its box. Regular life stuff got in the way. Didn’t have the free time they expected. Most sold and never considered the hobby again.

I know far more that bought a simple RTR. Got hooked, or just found something that they could use now and then. I know some that run a couple times a month. It’s just something to mess around with on the weekends. To show off to the friends.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you both for the quick replies. I do see this as more of a few times a month rather than a daily activity. That said, I do enjoy the assembly process. I’m concerned that the 1/8s might be too big. Is the 1/10 ok for backyard bashing? I did look into some of the suggested upgrades for the Slasher, but looks like many of them are covered with the VXL upgrade maybe? What are people’s opinion of the VXL Rustler? Is there another brand that would be better in that price range?
Old 07-21-2020, 10:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Tried to respond earlier, but I think it's waiting on admin approval???

I think I want to stay in the 1/10 scale area, and probably go with an RTR. If I go with with the VXL version of the Slash or the Rustler, does that cover most of the upgrades I would need right away? Is there a better option in that same price range?

I do see this as a few times a month thing, not an everyday event.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 105 (100%+)

I know traxxas has some "issues" but if you are looking to get your feet wet the Slash 2wd unassembled kit might be a good start. It is a kit (you get familiar with the car building it so you will know how to fix it). the box comes with a radio, esc, and brushed motor (you will need a charger and battery in addition). this will show you athe process of the true race grade RC experience at a 220ish dollar price point. Building a quality kit as your first go could prove daunting. Choose and buy the kit, then choose and buy a radio system, then choose and buy a servo, then choose and buy a ESC/Motor. Then Choose and buy a set(s) of tires. It is a lot to digest to start. the unassembled (by car/tires/electronics are in the box) kit is a good way to go. the slash with the stock brushed motor is tough and "fun" if you want to go faster, you will want to invest in a different car, the slash with a high power burshless motor becomes fragile.

Associated used to do this wth the "Club spec" B6 and B64 but they have discontinued those.

1/10th cars need an area of "at least" 35'x60', more is better. you most likely want to start with 1/10. the smaller scale stuff is not as durable and more difficult to repar/work on. Larger scale suff needs more space and can get expensive real quick.

The RTR quality has gotten better in the past decade (some of them are truly hobby grade not toy grade) but DO NOT go with NiHM batteries and chargers at this point, even running a brushed motor the LIPO battery is the way to go.

Anything from Tekno, Associated, Losi, Xray, Kyosho will be durable and fun. traxxas models can be hit or miss. Arrma has a loyal following, ECX is based off the losi line so should be durrable
Old 07-22-2020, 05:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I primarily started out with a 1992 Tamiya Stadium Blitzer thou I got a RC-10 at about the same time I started out to in RC and when RTR was a kit built by someone else.

I recommend getting a kit, I enjoyed the use of tools and as a hands on hobby it kept me busy and my parents seemed to be ok with the $$$ side at the time.

RTR is a good way to get into the hobby fast and enjoy the thrills and maybe get addicted for life.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:52 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I have four kids now and still find the cash to keep me going.. probably in my after life as well,
Old 07-24-2020, 08:00 AM
Tech Rookie

Opinions on the Losi Tenacity DB Pro 1/10 RTR 4WD Brushless Desert Buggy as a backyard basher/only car?