Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Running an off-road SCT on-road... >

Running an off-road SCT on-road...

Running an off-road SCT on-road...

Old 07-01-2020, 01:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Running an off-road SCT on-road...

What are some basic changes that I should make before taking to the track? Change to street tyres, lower ride height etc? This SCT will still see off-road use mostly, I just have a nearby on-road track (bitumen/tarmac) that I’ve been wanting to try it on.

Last edited by maxwolfie; 07-01-2020 at 01:53 AM.
Old 07-01-2020, 05:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Are you just going to goof around the onroad track once or twice? If yes, the theory would say tires, adjust gearing ratio, harder springs, harder oil, lowered ride height (which possibly means shorter springs), shims inside the shocks to limit droop, lock the slipper, stiffen front/mid diff if you can't lock them, etc... the thing is, it will cost you some money, and your car will still be so-so at the very best... so for the occasional run on tarmac, I would just run your SCT as is and not even bother with the "adjustments".

If you are going to be serious about it, I would recommend you just buy a proper on-road car as it will save you headaches AND money. you can get a decent on-road entry level racer for like $150-$200 that will work "right out of the box".
Old 07-01-2020, 09:59 AM
Tech Addict

When the SC10 came out we ran a class on a large concrete track. You can't adjust them enough to make them any good so we raced them box stock on kit tires until they wore out. They were all equally as bad as the next one so fair for alll.
Old 07-02-2020, 04:35 AM
Tech Apprentice

Fair call. I won’t be racing. I think I might just order some cheap wheels/tyres off AE and burn around on those.

If only I could find some SCT rims with pre-glued on-road rubber...
Old 07-02-2020, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Locally I've seen people run foam tires on the SCT vehicles, but I don't recall what brand they were. However I do know that Pro-line has pre-mounted rubber street tires. Here is a link..
https://www.prolineracing.com/tires/...unted-raid.asp

If you want a street body, you can order one directly from Parma. Here is a link...
https://parmapse.shptron.com/c/rc-tr...urse-sc-bodies

Here are some other bodies from JConcepts that include some street or road course looking bodies
https://www.jconcepts.net/shop/bodie...e/short-course

Before buying a SCT body, always make sure to check if it is designed for the vehicle that you own. Ultimately though you are going to end up with a very high center of gravity vehicle. While you can make improvements to the handling and setup of the chassis, you may find it time consuming to switch between an on-road and off-road setup. You could buy a second set of shocks/springs for the car and switch between the different types of racing. You could also buy a second set up camber links/turnbuckles so you can swap them so you don't have to adjust 1 setup between ride height adjustments.

There are several different SCT chassis manufacturers. If you have a higher end race kit, you should be able to setup it up to work decently around a road circuit. If you have a kit like a Slash, about the only upgrade I would get is the lower center of gravity chassis (assuming it was allowed in you off-road class).
https://traxxas.com/products/parts/a...30lowcgchassis

Otherwise I wouldn't spend too much time/money if you are only going to use it occasionally on-road. I would just keep it stock and learn how to drive a vehicle with a high center of gravity on a road course. For example; learn how to brake/decelerate in a straight line before turning and/or how to slow down enough to take fast corners without flipping the vehicle over.

Last edited by IndyRC_Racer; 07-02-2020 at 12:41 PM.