Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Upgrading HBX Protector to 3S Brushless Questions >

Upgrading HBX Protector to 3S Brushless Questions

Upgrading HBX Protector to 3S Brushless Questions

Old 06-25-2020, 09:53 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Upgrading HBX Protector to 3S Brushless Questions

Hi - I purchased an HBX Protector 12815 a few weeks ago and I absolutely love the car, but it doesn't go quite fast enough. After some research I bought a 2845 3930kv brushless motor with 35A ESC kit as well as a 3 wire servo and programming chip off of banggood. They don't arrive for about a month so I'm doing some research for the upgrade and I'm hoping to have some help with a couple of things:
  • Will I be able to attach my stock pinion gears to the new brushless motor or do I need to buy pinion gears?
  • Which 3S battery would you all recommend? Looking for runtime similar or better than stock. Stock batteries are two 18650 e-cigarette batteries 15mAh 3.7V
  • Does anyone have tire recommendations? I drive on soft dirt and pine needles quite a bit. The stock tires just spin for days even on the stock motor, they have no grip. Some YouTubers say that they've used heavier tires and ground down their diffs, which I don't want to do. Based on other people who have done a similar swap I see them ballooning the stock tires.
  • Sort of related - anyone have suggestions for tuning the wheels? I've adjusted the toe in/out with the turnbuckle but I can't figure out if it's possible to adjust camber/caster and the rear tires have a lot of wobble that I can't seem to get rid of.
Here's some of the YouTube references: had to remove these I guess I can't post links since I have a new account but search "Haiboxing protector upgrade" on Youtube one is from account called 413RC and another is from an account Rhadovan Dvorsky.