starting to get into nitro (tamiya)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

starting to get into nitro (tamiya)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2002, 09:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default starting to get into nitro (tamiya)

hi
i am bashing around with elcs. r/c and wanting to get into nitro.
i first started with a tamiya tl01 and is now half way hopped and stock ff02. i really want a tamiya nitro instead of a yoko. hpi. tc3 or any other brand....just tamiya 1.10 tg10's

so which one of them is a good race out of the box? tg10 is stock but tg01r is to adavance for me casue i would have to get all these parts. i'm looking more at the tg10 pro. does anybody drive a tamiya nitro and how are they? do you like them over a elc. car?
thanks
Old 12-13-2002, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

For bashing, the TG10 is a fine car to start with. It's pretty durable and handles reasonably well. If you plan to race, you'd be better off with the R or similar "competition class" car.

In general electric cars require less maintenance than nitro cars. They are not as hard on the moving parts since the motor engages the drivetrain very smoothly. With a nitro car, you have a clutch the engages at a certain speed and puts a lot fo strain on the drivetrain, so you'll want to check everything over on a regular basis and replace worn parts. Nitro is also a lot messier and can be frustrating until you learn how to tune the engine. You can also just pull in and fuel it up and you're back racing again, wheer with electric, you have to wait for batteries to charge. If you just use a basic .5 hp motor like the one that comes with the TG10, you should be fine with the parts that come with the kit. If you plan to upgrade to a higher hp motor, you should get the hopup propeller shaft set for it or you will bend the kit ones. Good luck!
Old 01-05-2003, 02:21 AM

JUST TO LET YOU KNOW WHO EVER THIS IS NEVER GET TAMIYA
Old 01-31-2003, 04:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

why would you say that?
should i get a yokoma gt-4 or hpi rs4 nitro 3 r ?

thanks
Old 01-31-2003, 10:13 PM
Tech Master

Originally posted by DAN_THE_MAN
JUST TO LET YOU KNOW WHO EVER THIS IS NEVER GET TAMIYA
...........give a reason why he shouldn't get one.......never broken a part on my car(tl01).......i drive my car without a body and land flips upside down on the body posts(so flimsy......would've though they would have snaped), do cart wheels.......etc
Mabe u have had a bad experience with a tamiya, but that doesn't mean that no one should get one

If u get one and are looking to race, one of the best hopups besides the 2 speed transmition is the tg10 and tb01 long suspention arm kit. The tg10 has a with of 178mm...but after the conversion, it should have about 188mm. I got this info from the May 2001 issue of RC Car Action..they do a review about it.

Hope this helps