Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help!  Buggy suspension sagging after an rainy, muddy outing. >

Help! Buggy suspension sagging after an rainy, muddy outing.

Help! Buggy suspension sagging after an rainy, muddy outing.

Old 06-07-2020, 05:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Help! Buggy suspension sagging after an rainy, muddy outing.

Hey guys, I need some expert guidance on this one as it has stumped me.... I recently built 2 Kyosho MP9 Evo kits and they both ran beautifully until last weekend when we drove in the backyard track in light rain. The track was really muddy and weighed down the buggies quite a bit for a while and eventually we quit as one of the buggies stripped the rear bevel gear and ended up damaging the diff gear. Now that I've got both vehicles cleaned up, I noticed that neither one returns to its normal position after pressing down on the buggy. I checked the shocks and they're all fine without damage to the piston or rod and it had full shock oil. I also checked the a-arms to make sure that nothing was binding, but despite everything checking out just fine, it would only rebound about half an inch, see pics. The last pic is a comparison to my MP10. I did some research on the forum and learned about spring fatigue, is this what I'm dealing with? Also did the extra weight from the mud put too much strain on the gears and that's why the bevel gear stripped? My buddies' 4 Tekno EB 48's all survived without any issue, but I'm left with 2 limp Kyoshos one with broken a-arm and the other a stripped gear.....

Old 06-07-2020, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Looks like you got plenty of pre load still on those springs all around.. Maybe the shock collar backed out.
Old 06-07-2020, 05:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Does the droop max out when you lift the buggy.?
Old 06-07-2020, 06:56 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
Looks like you got plenty of pre load still on those springs all around.. Maybe the shock collar backed out.
As far as I know, everything’s intact and looked ok on the shocks. Both buggies are doing same thing with the squatting.
Old 06-07-2020, 06:58 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Juglenaut View Post
Does the droop max out when you lift the buggy.?
Yes, max droop and everything seems to be moving freely and smoothly.
Old 06-08-2020, 10:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

It is possible that the spring retainer cups at the bottom of the shocks weren't fully seated onto the shock eyelet, and that during this run with some more weight on the car they settled further down. In this case, you would just need to compensate with the spring collars to set the desired ride height as mentioned above.
Old 06-09-2020, 05:33 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mushroomed View Post
It is possible that the spring retainer cups at the bottom of the shocks weren't fully seated onto the shock eyelet, and that during this run with some more weight on the car they settled further down. In this case, you would just need to compensate with the spring collars to set the desired ride height as mentioned above.
Thanks man, I'll examine again more closely this time. I think the suspension arms are binding, at first I thought it was moving pretty freely until I compared it to the MP10. The MP10 was buttery smooth without any friction compared to the Evo. I did clean it thoroughly so it shouldn't be dirt that's causing it.
Old 06-09-2020, 06:10 AM
Tech Elite

how do you know with all the mud you dint compact the coil spring...If you have a spring tester Id check to see if spring is still in parameters..also as said could be lower shock spring cap setting correctly now....