Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Damaged batter question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2020, 10:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Damaged batter question

Hi All, I just got my son a Redcat Blackout for his birthday and bought a quick charger and a second battery as well (5000mah). This morning I charged the 5000mah battery and noticed that thin plastic wrapping cracked or popped at the end. One row of cells is now slightly longer than the other. I did not notice this when I plugged it in, but I could have missed it.

I tried to attach photos of the battery, but account is too new.

Is it safe to use?

thanks!

Old 05-29-2020, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I believe that you might be able to post pictures to your own gallery. From there you should be able to provide us a link to your gallery where we can view your photos. Here is a link to the RCTECH.net gallery...

https://www.rctech.net/g/

----------

The battery that was included with your vehicle most likely a Nihm battery. There is usually 2 plastic ends with a plastic middle held together with shrink wrap material that holds the battery assembly together. This link is an exmple of a the Trinity 5102 nihm battery building kit.

[TRI5102] Stick Pack Building Kit

If you look at the picture of the kit, you will see some small rectangular pieces of metal. Those pieces of metal are either spot welded or solder to the + end of one battery and the - end of the next battery in series. These "shunts" and thin pieces of metal that will get folded between the individual batteries when the entire battery gets assembled into the whole 6 cell stick. If the plastic pieces holding the whole assembly get damaged, it can allow one "row" to stretch out.

While the individual cells of the battery pack may still be good, it is possible that one of more cells have become damaged. An over-heated or over-discharged battery can vent, and it worst case scenarios may explode. While I cannot recommend you continue to use the damaged battery, if you have the ability to visually inspect and electrical test each individual battery and/or test the whole pack, you may be able to continue to use the battery pack normally.

The used to sell the Trinity kits above so you could build your own custom "stick" battery packs. I have used these in the past to build and repair stick battery packs. However, the only way you could find one of these is second hand. Again without seeing your damaged battery, it is hard to tell if it can be repaired. Also Nihm stick pack batteries are usually fairly inexpensive so it is always safer to replace it with a new battery.

----------

This post is a bit long so let me sum up.

Your battery may be fine, the case could probably be repaired with simple methods, but it is safer to replace it with new.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:23 PM
Tech Elite

Never safe to have a fully charged Lipo with viewable damage or plastic wrap in home discharge it asap then remove to safe place contact market then see...if it is a lipo if its another Nixx battery ..just the wrinkle shrink wrap is not a issue...a lipo is dangerous..

Last edited by the rc guy; 05-29-2020 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2020, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TPSEMS
Hi All, I just got my son a Redcat Blackout for his birthday and bought a quick charger and a second battery as well (5000mah). This morning I charged the 5000mah battery and noticed that thin plastic wrapping cracked or popped at the end. One row of cells is now slightly longer than the other. I did not notice this when I plugged it in, but I could have missed it.

I tried to attach photos of the battery, but account is too new.

Is it safe to use?

thanks!
I have quoted the original post in this thread. The vehicle is question is a Redcat Blackout. After looking at Redcat Racing's website, it appears that these vehciles come as a RTR kit that includes a BRUSHED motor and NIHM stick pack batteries. Charging any type of rechargeable battery comes with risks, but NIHM battery packs can repaired in the event that the external plastic case has become cracked or damaged. I would never recommend that anyone work on a rechargeable battery unless they have previous experience working on batteries and is familiar with using a safely using a soldering iron,

Having said that, a quick search on youtube or the internet should provide good information on how to safely deal with Nihm rechargeable batteries.