Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Mounting 1/10 Tamiya WV Beetle body on HSP 94180 chassis >

Mounting 1/10 Tamiya WV Beetle body on HSP 94180 chassis

Mounting 1/10 Tamiya WV Beetle body on HSP 94180 chassis

Old 05-19-2020, 07:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Mounting 1/10 Tamiya WV Beetle body on HSP 94180 chassis

Hi,

I am a newbie and trying to dip my fingers in RC.

My last RC experience was a Tamiya grasshopper in the late 1980s. Stopped since then.

I saw the HSP 94180 RC toy and it seems quite attractive and nice to me. The tires look really big and waterproof (or so the maker claims)

I like Baja/ WV beetle and cannot quite bear to pay for Tam Sand Scorcher.

May I ask if it is possible to mount a Tamiya WV body (hard or softshell) onto the HSP 94180 chassis? Anyone done it here? I thought of making it a CB project for myself.

Newbie needing some tips, pls go easy on me.

Old 05-19-2020, 08:21 PM
Tech Elite

it might . you will need to make some body posts..maybe get some # on both models to see how far the wheels are off
Old 05-20-2020, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

There are many people in this hobby that can do amazing things with modifying bodies to look amazing no matter what chassis they are mounted to. However for the average person, there are a few things to know.

- What scale is the chassis and body?
It will always be difficult to mount a smaller scale body on a larger scale chassis without some modification. It is always easier to mount a 1/10 body on a 1/10 scale chassis.

- What type of chassis is the body designed for?
Typically any 1/10 scale body designed for 4wd touring cars will mount on practically any manufacturer's 4wd touring car. But mounting a 1/10 touring car body on a 1/10 scale rock crawler can present some challenges. Typically touring car bodies and chassis are wider than a rock crawling r/c vehicle or monster truck. A good example of this was the HPI #1718 Cuda body made for their Savage monster truck and the HPI #17510 Cuda body made for touring cars. Here is the width of the 2 cars...
HPI Cuda #1718 - 178mm (wide)
HPI Cuda #17510 - 200mm/210mm (wide - rear of body wider than front)

Visually both of these HPI bodies look similar. You could use the wider body on a narrow body, but it may look weird. Also when using bodies not designed for specific vehicles, the wheel arches may not line up properly with the axles. You may also run into issues with the body not fitting properly around the shock towers. You may end up having to mount the body fairly high above a chassis which might look weird, affect the performance, and not do as good a job of protecting the electronic components in an accident.

Bottom line - always make sure to know measures of the body and chassis before purchase.

- Where are the body posts located on the chassis?
In the specific case of the HSP 94180 it appears the body mounts are located on the sides of the chassis. This type of mounting arrangement should work well when using a poly-carbonate plastic body, but may not work as well (or at all) if you are using an ABS plastic body. A heavier ABS body may cause stress on the mounting posts and it also may make the chassis top heavy.

If you do a quick internet search, it looks like there are a few different VW Beetle bodies that may work with the HSP 94180.
- Pro-Line 3238-62 Volkswagen Baja Bug Clear Body
This body is designed for Short Course trucks and may be too big - here is a link for the product: https://www.prolineracing.com/bodies...body-slash.asp
This body would work on the Traxxas TRX4. Here is a link for the chassis: https://traxxas.com/products/landing/trx-4/
Here is a link with pics of the Pro-line body on the TRX4: Bugs and Beetles Thread - Show us yours, and go ahead and talk about it. - Page 4 - RCCrawler

Check out this link for Pro-Lines rock crawling bodies: https://www.prolineracing.com/rock-crawling-bodies/

- Tamiya 58618 Monster Beetle
This is an ABS plastic body. Here is a link on Tamiya USA's website to purchase the body: https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/7-dig...rc-body-58618/

I'm sure you can find other Beetle bodies that are either polycarbonate or ABS for sale online at places such as ebay or amazon. If you are looking for a complete Tamiya Sand Scorcher body, set the part number is Tamiya 51406. Below is a link to buy that body on Tamiya's website
https://www.tamiyausa.com/shop/buggi...scorcher-2010/

I hope this information helps.